Electrical connection - shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I have plumbed a power shower pump into my airing cupboard :D and now intend wiring it up. It has been suggested to me that I take a spur from a nearby socket to a switched, wall mounted socket and use a 13 amp fused plug. :LOL:

However, another source :( has said that I should take the spur to a fused, switched spur connection box with an LED and wire the pump directly and permanently into this.

Which is correct if either, or is there another, better way? :?:

Sponsored Links
Is the airing cupboard in the bathroom? You're not allowed to have sockets/plugs/switches in the bathroom, so suggest the fused spur/direct wired (not switched) is the best option. Also check the pump instructions for the size of fuse, it might be less than 13A

Hope this is helpful

SB

Very helpful thanks.

The airing cupboard is across on the other side of the landing to the bathroom, adjoining bedroom, so no problems like that.

So presume wall socket ok. 3 pin plugs would make it easy to replace pumps if necessary. But will install fused spur if thought best practice.

Instructions silent on fuse, but good point.

Would a 5 or 3 amp fuse suffice? Being a pump, it may have a start up surge and then settle to a lower current. I suppose I could simply put in the lowest that doesn't blow though.

Many thanks once again :)

It's tricky (to say the least) for anyone else to guess the size of fuse that you need. My recommendation would be to consult the documentation that came with the pump.

Sponsored Links
good point. Thanks for ideas. :idea: I'll phone manufactureres (spellcheck?) and ask them for definitive answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back