Banisters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right well we had scary hideous banisters on our stairs which have now been ripped out. The problem I have is that the systems I've been looking at for replacing them mean replacing the newels which I'm not confident in tackling so I'm wondering what people would advise. Do I

a) Attempt it myself (assuming I can work out how on earth you're supposed to get the hand rail & base rail home form B&Q!)?

b) Buy the kit but get a builder in to put it together?

c) Get a builder to do the whole thing?

Are the kits any good? Would someone coming in to do the banisters be stupidly expensive (not asking for a price as obviously it will vary but a rough idea would be helpful)? Are there safety regs that I'm unlikely to be able to manage myself?

Thanks to anyone who can help - sorry about all the questions! :oops:

Sponsored Links
Having read how unsure you are about tackling this project, my advice would be to get a carpenter to install the new bannisters, newell posts etc

You must remember that the hand rail will be pushed, pulled and leant on considerably and needs to be sturdy. The last thing you need is someone falling off the stairs cos of a dodgy DIY job.... :eek:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Yes my concern too, especially when it comes to selling up. OK so option b) looks good then? Any tips on finding a good carpenter? :p

Sponsored Links
If you e mail me, I may know someone in Ringwood, if thats in the local vacinity.

Plumb Right Office(all one word) at (a)merica (o)n (l)ine dot com

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back