Problem with wiring arrangement for new bathroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to change the light fitting in our bathroom this evening and before I disconnected the wiring arrangement I took a couple of digital photos so it would be easy to connect up again. Wrong :oops:

When I went to view the photos, they weren't there :evil:

This should have been a simple task. We currently have no lighting upstairs. The fuse board is the RCB type and the circuit is isolated/breaker is taped over. I have posted a couple of photos.

If any one can help it would be much appreciated. Next time I will do what I have done in the past and make a sketch. ;)

DCP_0008.jpg

DCP_0007.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm sure someone will correct me IMMEDIATELY if I am wrong, but the only one u need to keep an eye on is the one with the brown sleeving as this is your switch line.
There is a mixture of new and old coloured wiring with blue/black and brown/red being the same. It also looks as though two of your earth wires are twisted together in the same sleeving. (Not great)
SO...
All earth wires (Green and Yellow sleeved) go to the earth terminal
All Red/Brown wires go to loop
All Blue/Black wires (except brown sleeved black) go to Neutral terminal
Finally the switch line goes to the live terminal

As I said, I think thats right, but someone will be along to correct me if I am wrong

10/10 divadoll_1 top of the class ;)

That blue/brown cable - what does this feed? it has certainly been added on in the last 3 years.

Just one thing Divadoll_1, that fitting looks like it will only have L-N-E terminals.

If thats the case then follow Divadolls instructions but put all the reds/brown in a seperate terminal block.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the speedy replies everyone.

I follow what's been said and should be able to wire it up tomorrow. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back