New boiler/megaflow budget

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are just about to move into a new house which has a very old boiler strage cylinder. We want to replace this with a system boiler and megaflow type (unvented?) system.

The house is (or rather will be soon - after some modifications) a 4 bed, 2 bath + shower in each bathroom property.

there are 10 rooms in total (4 beds, 2 baths, kitchen, dining room, utility room and conservatory).

Some radiators will need to be relocated (3, I think) and all will need thermostatic valves.

The system will need a full flush.

The kind of boiler I am assuming will work (from some conversations with plumbers) would be a Worchester 28HE with a Megaflow 240lt.

Any idea what kind of figure I could expect for this work?

I don't move in until monday week (5th June) and will get plumbers in ASAP - but would like an idea of the kind of cost I should expect in advance.

Many Thanks

============================

Please see forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
Whats more important than the number of bathrooms is how many people will live there and the maximum number that can be staying there.

If its only two or three then a 240 li will be enough but if more then I would recommend a 310 li as that will give more storage and reduce the chance of hot water running out.

Unless your house is very unusual I would expect a 20-24 kW boiler will be adequate, particularly if its a terraced or semi. Its a common falacy to over size a boiler but this only reduces efficiency. This is often done by plumbers who do it "just in case" and probably dont know how to do calcs. In any event some heat loss calculations should be made.

Probably cost about £3.2-£3.6 k inc.

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
Probably cost about £3.2-£3.6 k inc.

Very optimistic pricing unless you employ cheap EU labour. No way I could touch a job with that spec for that price. Condensing combi swap is about £2k now inc vat and that would be a straightforward job. Anything more with long run of new gas pipe, other mods would run at £3k. Have you seen the price of copper pipe now?

If they want that spec system with an unvented I would target more like £5k. Of course one way to get a job (which I have seen done) is to submit a low estimate and then ask for more when the job is done and its too late. I prefer to give realistic quotations up front so neither side is surprised.

Sponsored Links
Nolt being funny but yours is a different world from mine, if what you say is so, I could give you £500 for geting me a job at your prices stay in bnb while I do them and make more money than I do in Scarborough.

Just shows the importance of local estimates. It's a quite different ball game around the country.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back