vokera 20/80 RS flowmatic-H/W problems..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post; please be gentle..
moved into a house 9 months ago with a vokera 20/80 RS flowmatic-house was ex-rental, so i\\\'m pretty sure the boiler has been checked yearly. anyway, the boiler just started to play up-when you use the bath/shower, the hot water heats up then goes cold then takes ages to come hot again. pilot light is lit, pressure says 2bar. Also, the boiler makes some terrific noises late at night (when taps/heating are both not turned on). not sure what this means.. if anything.. Please help!! ps, overflow to outside the house was recently raining water out, but has now stopped-would this have anything to do with it all???

please let it be something cheap and easy to fix!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
At least 3 faults, probably. Most boilers in rented accommodation get pretty poor service. A "landlord's certificate" checks it isn't dangerous and that's all.
Hot/cold behaviour is probably sludge, (either just the boiler, or the whole system, to be cleaned).
The "overflow" is from a Pressure Relief Valve (read through the FAQ section and you'll get a handle about that), (a normal repair thing).
Coming on at night - dunno - is there a Frost Stat?

Suggest you start by getting it serviced by someone used to the type, who will also guide as to what to do with it.

Nick, you have a good (even if an old) boiler. Good news is it can be serviced to be singing a merry tune again, but you need to find an installer who knows what he is doing.

Sorry Chris, I doubt if sludge is the culprit here. HW HE rarely plays up. Will send you an email with what is wrong.

Nich, if the boiler was serviced correctly, all your problems will be long gone. Who so ever looks at it must diagnose the defect. Almost certain it will not require a fan, pcb, pump or a major component.

thanks for the replies; I wqas starting to lose the will to live.. I don't think I'm going to survive many more ice cold showers...!

Don't suppose anybody knows a reputable boiler person in the Newcastle area?

Sponsored Links
Hey Nick, did you get this resolved and how difficult/costly was it?

I have the same kind of boiler which is giving me the same problem. An expensive plumber this morning basically said I needed a new one and quoted £3200 to install a replacement :eek:

I'd really like to hear that it's a fixable problem!

Where in London, I'll do you one cheap for £3100!

tineke said:
An expensive plumber this morning basically said I needed a new one and quoted £3200 to install a replacement :eek:

Well it certainly was not me! Firstly we are not expensive and secondly we only normally repair boilers.

Most repairs are under £150 to repair but if a boiler has been seriously neglected then a proper repair to bring it up to the original standard can sometimes cost up to £300 if sludge and scaling are involved.

Tony Glazier

Tineke read my post for the answer.

But then you need someone who knows hiv Vokeras. Good boiler worth fixing..

Thanks everybody! I'm glad to hear such positive things after such a scary estimate.

No it wasn't Tony, I'm not sure if I should name-and-shame the aforementioned expensive plumbers ...

Tony - are you familiar with Vokeras and do you do jobs south of the river? We're in Battersea.

Or if anybody knows of other good Vokera plumbers in (central/south) London, who shares the repair-rather-than-replace philosophy, then I'd really appreciate any recommendations.

Sounds like Pimlico Plumbers in that area.

We only cover North of the River!

You are in Chris R territory!

Tony

tineke said:
Hey Nick, did you get this resolved and how difficult/costly was it?

I have the same kind of boiler which is giving me the same problem. An expensive plumber this morning basically said I needed a new one and quoted £3200 to install a replacement :eek:

After being stood up by two plumbers, I finally got hold of one who seems very thorough. He's diagnosed many things wrong with it, but is starting by ordering me a new thermostat.
Last time he was here, he added some sludge treatment stuff and advised running the heating for a short time each day to keep it ticking over. That was about two weeks ago and the hot water did work nicely for a while, but two days ago, boiler got sick.
Now have no heating and hot water-the pilot is there but it won't fire up. and Newcastle has just got cold. I'd sit in front of the fire, but that's packed up too (Cannon Caress-pilot light works, but gas won't stay on-any ideas?!?! And the boiler guy is on holiday!!!

So, in conclusion, no; haven't got it sorted. But I live in hope.. :rolleyes:

Yea I can cover Battersea. I also have DP's phone number!
Must say things have suddenly got very busy...

ChrisR said:
Yea I can cover Battersea. I also have DP's phone number!
Must say things have suddenly got very busy...

Well I hope you're not too busy to fit us in soonish! There's an email coming your way ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back