oil fired boiler, sequence of operation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Worcester Danesmoor 15/19 which had a noisy motor, fault now cleared. Went to bleed air from oil and now get lockout. Can anyone tell me firing order of controller or confirm below
1.motor starts, 2.photocell checks for flame, if none, seen power to transformer and sparks at electrodes, 3.power to oil valve and lights oil, 4.photocell sees flame and boiler sequence now complete and running. I don.t think that I am getting the supply to transformer. Replace controller with spare and same fault. Hence can't bleed oil as not being valved through pump. Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Did you remove the pump from the motor? Did you locate the drive coupling correctly?

photocell dead, solenoid dead, pump coupling missing...........

Sponsored Links
noise was due to fan catching on something in casing, cleaned up and refitted. drive coupling would only allow me to fit mounting bolts if located correctly.
Yes was working until noise and then lockout occured, noise now gone but still locking out. I suspect it is a faulty transfomer or connection but very difficult to check voltage as space limited. Is the sequence of operation right? Had a new photocell 2 months ago on service.

Any more clues greatfully received

We make guesses!

You provide the clues!

You seem clueless so we are guessless!

I cannot remember your old boiler very well as I dont go to many oil installations.

I will assume that the oil pump and fan are in effect on the same shaft. If the fan is turning, and you have not made that totally clear, then the oil pump should also be turning.

If that is the case then let me ask you, why is there apparently no oil pressure???

Air in the supply pipe? Pump shaft not really turning? Why no oil?????

Tony

This is part of my question, does the oil valve only acivate after the transformer goes live? this would then allow oil through the pump circuit allowing me to bleed. I disconnect supply pipe to pump and oil flowed quite quickly. Reconnect and start boiler, motor fan start but no oil out of bleed nipple. Pump is directly coulpled to motor and coupling is fitted correctly as only bolts together if so. Lockout, but could not hear any ignition. Does this help?

Was the pump coupling in good condition ? If this has worn you won't get the pump to work .You should be getting oil pressure through the pump bleed port regardless of the ignition or the valve.

JACKC said:
This is part of my question, does the oil valve only acivate after the transformer goes live? this would then allow oil through the pump circuit allowing me to bleed. I disconnect supply pipe to pump and oil flowed quite quickly. Reconnect and start boiler, motor fan start but no oil out of bleed nipple. Pump is directly coulpled to motor and coupling is fitted correctly as only bolts together if so. Lockout, but could not hear any ignition. Does this help?

No it doesn't help much as you have left out words that would allow your post to be read as a story. Because you can't be bothered to put all the words in, it makes it difficult to get the information you are trying to get us to understand.

Try reading your post aloud. Do you really talk like this too? So write it as you would speak it.

This has probably already been stated and its pretty obvious anyway!

The fan/pump is started, the ignition spark starts THEN the oil flow solenoid opens and oil flows to the pressure jets and hopefully ignites. If this doesn't produce a flame within about five seconds it shuts down.

I dont see anything in your posting about the solenoid valve. Have you located and tested the resistance of the coil, if OK have you used a magnetic field detector to see if its being powered? Have you listened with a acoustic stethoscope to see if it clicks as it opens?

All these questions! The answers will provide the clues to the problem. As with all crime mysteries its the clues which will eventually provide the solution. Searching out the clues is the essential detective work!

Tony Glazier

Magnetic stethoscope ! Not heard of those, do they have any other uses , and where would I get one/how much are they ? Thank's.

Sorry, I wrongly put magnetic stethoscope because I was debating in my mind whether to put acoustic stethescope or magnetic stick detector. Obviously I could not reach a decision and put half of each !

Its easy to make a magnetic stethescope if you know a little about electronics. Use a linear Hall effect detector and a 741 or similar op-amp and a small earpiece or loudspeaker and a meter as well.

They are quite useful for speeding up boiler diagnosis but not essential. I only made one up for fun to see just how useful it would be. I dont know of any simple commercial units apart from the "magnet stick" at the bottom end and professional gauss meters at the top end.

Tony

A cheap magnetic detector is a screwdriver. Undo the nut (4mm Allen key) and lift off the coil, press the "Reset " button and stick the screwdriver blade down the hole in the coil, if the coil energises, you can feel it on the screwdriver.

However, if anyone tries this on a Riello burner, they will be very disappointed as the pulse time for the solenoid is very short if it doesnt ignite straight away.

Is it just me or does anyone else think it would be polite for JACKC to post the outcome. It's nice to get feedback and possibly learn a bit.
Thanks guy's for the tip's, it's all useful especially as i'm still learning.

Sorry for not replying earlier, been on night shift for a few nights. Yes I have used a voltage detector on the valve and nothing there, removed coil and inserted allen key through opening and was not magnetically attracted. I have checked continuity of coil and seems ok but can not remember restance to tell you. Thanks for telling me that oil should be at bleed port regardless of wether coil magnetised or not, beginning to think I may have 2 faults now. Will have another look in a few days after recovering from the shock of nights. Will reply with hopefully the cause and how cured.
Thanks to all who have taken an interest in this post, back soon. JACK C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back