slow leak in central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I hope you might be able to help me with a central heating problem. I have had a slow leak on my Ideal Isar HE24 since it was installed 10 months ago. At first there were a few problems such as leaking radiators but these have now been fixed. However the pressure continues to drop and I have been unable to find the remaining leak. While the heating is on the pressure gradually drops until the gauge gets to zero. But as long as the heating is off the pressure does not seem to get lower. With normal cold-weather use, I have to refill the system every couple of days.

Basically, my central heating system is half new (combi and 2 rads) and half old (4 more rads). I've looked at all the joints and pipework that I can get access to (i.e. all those installed by the plumber) but I haven't lifted the other flooring to look at the older pipework.

Can anyone please suggest what the problem could be? Do I need to take up the flooring to get access to the old pipework, or could there be some other source of the pressure drop?

Many thanks,

Neil

Sponsored Links
Close the heating isolation valves under the boiler and see if the pressure drops. Obviously you will not be able to use the heating while they are closed.

While you are doing that someone else will confirm here that the pressure gauge is indeed on the boiler side as I have a suspicion it may be on the heating side on the Isar.

Tony

Sponsored Links
First place to look is under the plastic head on old rad valves especially if they aren't up to bs2767

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back