Help some frustrated nurses!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are 4 student nurses who have just moved into a nice house. However our landlord is as much use as a dodo and we have decided to take matters into our own hands :)

We have 2 issues we would like advice on.

Firstly were students and we are looking at the cheapest affordable option. There is a B&Q just down the road so were looking at buying the equipment then getting a plumber to install it. Ok so dwon to business.

1) We have a shower that is a tap mixer kind. The pressure is ok but not great. We would like to install a pump without changing the shower, however there is not enough room under the bath to even put your hand. We have a cold water tank in the loft and a hot boiler in the cupboard next to the bathroom. What kind of pump would we need and where can we get one and also can we install in in the airing cupboard?

2) Our toilet is fine, but it takes AGES to fill the cistern. Can we do anything about this?

Luv

Sammy, Heather, Claire n Sal. x

Sponsored Links
Most nurses I come across are working long hours and exhausted and tired and often a bit irritable too but are certainly not sexy. A Dodo was a bird that used to live in Mauritius but could not fly and is now extinct.

Its possible that a shower pump could go in the airing cupboard. A reasonable one would cost from £140 up to £400.

My strong advice is that you get a competent plumber to examine your system and advise what is suitable.

If you buy something yourself then you will probably get something unsuitable. Would you expect a plumber patient to select his own medicines when he is ill and ask you to administer them to him ???

The toilet probably needs a new float valve which is suitable for its water supply. Again I would suggest you let the plumber prescribe something suitable.

Tony

:LOL: :LOL: If you get the enema kit out and live in Sussex, I`ll help you ;)

I fear you will over-excite some of the elderly plumbers on here.

-----------------------------
sexyoldprojectmanager

Sponsored Links
What's the old adage?
'There are two sure things in life, one's you're gonna die- the other's a nurse!'
Aside from that, pipe up with a location and you're quite likely to find a shining knight type of guy on here.

Fair chance that the filling valve in the wc just needs a clean out or a new washer, or one of its personal bits changing to suit the low pressure supply.

I wonder if you're
Arry, Deano, Dive and Robbo, in drag...?

Have you tried descaing the showerhead?
How far above the shower is the loft - is it just the ceiling above it?

DOn't be too keen for a megashower - you wouldn't get 4 in a row from your cylinder.

Does anyone know if theres a current version of the Triton T40 - simple pump you put in the shower hose, better shower with little hassle and not too much water usage. I Can't find one ..??

ChrisR said:
I wonder if you're
Arry, Deano, Dive and Robbo, in drag...?

The OP does not say that the sexy nurse is female.

sexyoldprojectmanager

Ta for all your help! :p

Where would the washer be located? Is it on the plastic orange thing that floats in the water or would it be near the hole that the water comes out of to fill the cistern?

Also regarding our loft, the loft is directly above the bathroom and the hot water tank is to the left of the bathroom.

I spoke to our local DIY man and he said a dual pump could be fitted near the airing cupboard but the boiler needs to be raised first? It all confuses us more! All we want is to be able to enjoy our showers as at the mo its liek standing under a watering can.

:evil:

If you can lay your hands on a digital camera, put up a pic of the shower piping and taps, and especially the shower head (some shower heads are very restrictive and you can get better flow with a head having bigger holes for the water jets - this is a very cheap and easy fix too). Include a picture of a sexy nurse under the shower to set our minds at rest.

The washer will be where the water flows into the cistern. The orange plastic ball will be attached to a lever that turns the valve on and off. Don't take it apart until you've found out how to isolate the water supply to the cistern.

One of my old girlfiends (she wasn't old at the time) became a nurse, and very gorgeous with it. I expect she's turned into Hattie Jacques by now.

sexyoldprojectmanager
(you haven't got to be a nurse to be sexy)

ta

I will add the pics after the game tonight and before I leave for work.

We know its not a problem with the head as we have a new showerhead and hose. Also I'll give the washer a go 2nite.

Who knows maybe all we need to get this to work is a good pump ;)

I think you implied the cistern is above the hot water cylinder in the loft.

My preferred solution if I was your landlord would be to put a new cistern in the loft and raise it up on a wooden stage to create a greater head of water. p[erhaps also to use a 28 mm cold feed as recommended. Cheaper and silent and does not go wrong like my Triton shower pump did after four days!

Tony

Oh, I forgot, You Degree Nurses don`t do enemas now :oops: And you think an evac is when you all run out of the nightclub :LOL: :LOL:

right, most of the guys have helped u with ur plumbing problems.lets see what we can do about ur frustrations. :LOL: :LOL:

Good work with the studies I am a Dip HE Nurse, RN Child, but I burned out four years ago and now instead of shovelling it straight off the bed sheets I shovel it after it's been round the u bend.

You are going to have to get some pipework done anyway, and I imagine it would be easier from the loft down the wall so that the bath doesn't have to be removed.

Rather than think in terms of a pump, I would be thinking of two other possibilities. There is a type of shower which gives perfectly adequte flow of nice warm water called a Trevi Boost. It uses the power of your mains to draw the hot water, the combined effect is just as good as most pumps.

A second option is to fit a Bristan Power shower, the pump is contained in the shower.

In both cases your diy guy can run the pipes via the loft, the first option requires a cold mains supply which he could take from the feed to the header tank, the second requires a balanced cold supply, for which he could put a tank connector in the header tank to obtain.

The downside of the Bristan option is it involves an electricity supply.

Both options would give you an excellent shower that will empty your hot water cylinder before the third person has got into the shower.

When I was a student nurse there seemed to be some major hurdles I wasn't sure I would get over, but with a lot of hard work I made it, you can too.

Who knows maybe all we need to get this to work is a good pump
The innuendo was noted. Are you trying to start something!?

All we want is to be able to enjoy our showers
Easy. Fill the bath, all four of you stand in it and pour water over each other with jugs like them they have in Roman mosaics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back