Tiling around plug sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently tiling a kitchen splashback using 10X20 tiles (brick shape) that have bevelled edges. There are two double wall sockets that I have to tile around and wondered how I should approach this to get the best finish? I was thinking of tiling behind the edges of the socket face but this would leave a gap where the bevelled edges of the tiles are which would need to be filled in I guess. I would be grateful for any suggestions or experiences of thoose who have done this before.

Sponsored Links
Why not cut the hole in the tile, remove the wiring from the sockets (switch off at main suppy first) then fix tile. You can cut the hole in the tile by drilling a series of small holes, it takes time, you may also break a tile or 2 but you will get a beter looking jobs.

Cheers DIYisfun.
What would you use to cut between the drilled holes?
Does anyone know, if I do decide to fill in gaps between the plug socket and the tiles, whether I should use grout or sealant for the job?

Grout will crack. In my view you always get a better look if you take the sockets off and tile up to the size of the steel backbox in the wall. Of course you do have to isolate the power first, and know how to reconnect the socket safely when you've finished.

This will also conceal the cut edges of the tiles.

Tiling round sockets without taking them off looks very bodgy, and can make it difficult to remove the sockets should this be necessary later.

Sponsored Links
John D,
What do you mean when you said isolate the power supply? Can i just turn the electrics off at the mains to do the job or is it more difficult than that?
i agree with the tiling underneath the face of the socket up to the box underneath. My only problem with that is that when I do this as the tiles are not flat (they have bevelled edges) it means that there will be a gap between the socket face and the tile underneath wher the edge of the tiles are. What should i fill this gap with?

Isolate means disconnect if you are lucky enough to have more than one trip switch in your fuse cupboard you can simply turn off one switch that controls that bank of sockets. This allows you to have lights in the remainder of house etc. If not switch of the main switch and then turn back on when finished?

You can get a blade that will cut the tiles & a file, so if you drill a few mm away from your intended finish line you have a margin for error..Once you have got into the swing of it you should have a problem. You may find that a tile shop will cut the tiles for you. Many many years ago I had a shop cut thick tiles for me £1 a tile . The last time I tilled 2 years ago I cut them all myself. Good luck.

:!: And when you think you've isolated it, always test the terminals/wires before touching them to make sure they're dead. If you happen to have a removable fuse (rare these days) put it in your pocket until you've finished the work so that no-one can put it back without your knowledge.

I suppose you could use an acrylic or silicon sealant; but avoid letting it stick the socket to the wall. one way is to wrap cling film round the switchplate and let the sealant try to stick to the film. I find acrylic easier to work with as you can smooth it without it sticking to the tool or finger.

Cheers for help everybody. I shall give it a go this weekend and hope that i do a good job.

You have 100x200 brick slips. Tile one tile away from the socket. With a pencil, mark around the socket. Loosen the socket screws. from the last tile, place the tile to be cut next to it, not forgetting the grout width. If you are tiling from the left(I'm left handed) you will have to place the wanted cut tile below the socket when doing this. Mark about 3-4mm past the socket for the vertical cut, do like wise for the horizontal cut.

You now should have an 'L' shape on your tile, cut this and adhere into place, repeat for all cuts around the socket. Leave 24hrs before tightening the socket screws up. To get over the bevelled edge, I use white silicone, DON'T cut the nozzle, you want the smallest amount, hope that helps.......................

You should isolate, electrically, but you don't have to disconnect - they're not the same thing at all.

Once you've cut the hole in the tile, isolate at the consumer unit (aka fuse box), and feed the socket through the hole - you'll find this easy if you do it diagonally, rather than broadside it in the way that a dog would try to walk through a doorway with a very side stick!

BTW, JohnD's advice is the best (as always) - test for power before and after isolating, to make sure that you're de-energised the correct circuit, and to make sure that your tester is working.

tile over an then use a drill too cut through ...<- only kidding :)

enough good advice here aready ... ;) :)

Moz said:
tile over an then use a drill too cut through ...<- only kidding :)

enough good advice here aready ... ;) :)

How you doing Moz?????????????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back