Soil Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of guidance as to whether this is acceptable. I have a small bathroom and the soil pipe is boxed in right in the centre. I want to fit a standard bath and remove my small one. I can do this if the soil pipe is removed or moved. I don't wish to renew the whole thing and have to mess on with the drains outside so can i just divert the soil pipe just above where wc goes into it (so new bath will fit) and divert the pipe outside for vent purposes? Or can i just cap off and fit one of these air admittance valves?

Advices much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
hi g1arm

Can't see any reason why you shouldn't divert the discharge pipe and use an AAV ( Air Admittance Valve ) This can be terminated in the room or taken into the loft and terminated there. One thing to watch out for is where you will join the bath waste to the discharge pipe ( should not be opposite WC outlet. Or maybe bath drains to somewhere else?)

Squeaky

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Existing bath waste joins stack opposite wc waste. The reason i wanted to divert just above where the above two join the stack at the existing branch is so that i can get a 1700mm bath in (the soil stack will be diverted through the external wall just below the end of the bath). Are you saying i can just effectively cap it off without core drilling through the external wall and use an AAV? Or should i divert outside and just put a normal open vent top (i read on another thread that just using an AAV and not venting is not a good idea.

The existing soil/vent pipe runs up the wall (boxed in) and through the loft then through a vent tile on the roof. I cannot terminate in the loft as this doesn't solve my problem of getting the bath in.

Again, thanks for amy help.

Yes you can terminate the discharge pipe in the room but I think it has to be a certain height from the wc ( Cant remember what this is, if I find out I will come back to you )and obviously should be vertical so not enough room under the new bath. So through the wall might be a better option.

Sponsored Links
Like a lot of things you can't just bung it outside without asking first, There are local building regs to consider.

Visit your local building dept and have a word with an inspector.

doitall said:
Like a lot of things you can't just bung it outside without asking first, There are local building regs to consider.

Visit your local building dept and have a word with an inspector.
Well, I did about 8 years ago and no-ones complained :LOL: Better than AAV any day ;)

Can't see a height as referred above, so just "Above the flood level".

stubstacks.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back