Cold upstairs radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, the radiator in our bedroom has never worked since we moved into the house. All the other radiators upstairs and downstairs are hot but this one is stone cold. The feed pipe going in is hot but the valve is cold. The pipe going out of the radiator is cold.

I removed the radiator this weekend and flushed it out, refitted and bled it. The radiator was then hot but only stayed hot for about an hour. While the radiator was off the wall I opened both valves and drained some water into a bucket. The outlet pipe was fine (water hot and coming out full bore) but the inlet pipe seemed to be blocked (just a trickle of hot water coming out).

I think maybe the valve is knackered or the pipe is blocked. If the pipe is blocked, how could I unblock it??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating engineer but as you said but the inlet pipe seemed to be blocked (just a trickle of hot water coming out). i should go for the valve, if its a trv search for trvs on this forum, if not change it

How big are the pipes?

If they're 15mm, you could use a drain clearing spring and shove the spring up the pipe. If it won't go, it's not much good of course.

Sponsored Links
The pipes are either 10mm or 8mm.

Can I drain the upstairs central heating from the drain cock on the bottom of the boiler and then let it refill from the header tank in the loft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back