Have I broken it, primatic system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
New to the forum and to central heating. Hoping one of you guys can help.
We have Primatic heating system I've just discovered unfortunately too late.

Let me explain. 2 of our 4 radiators weren't working, 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs, so I tried bleeding the rads to no joy, no air in them.
So I decided to drain the system. Drained it from the boiler drain cock (there was no other).

Then unfortunately while refilling the system to the boiler drain cock from the cold water tap I also added some sludge remover/restorer to the hot water tank (now I realise I shouldn't have).

I didn't realise the system was Primatic until I saw it on the tank after wiping the dust away. Now the water is brown and only one Radiator is working all the rest are stone cold even the one that was working.

What I need to know is will the water eventually clear and have I damaged the system. How do I get the radiators working again, are they air locked?

Should I have filled from the tank in the attic instead of from the drain cock to the boiler.
I did this because I thought there would be less chance of an airlock this way.

Please help cuz my missus is going nuts, I need to redeem myself.
Your help is very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's designed to be filled from the tank in the loft. Drain the system again and then drain the hw cylider to help get any chemicals out which may have got in there. Then refill from the top. That way the air gap whhich separates the waters can re-form.

I expect you will have a lot of problems if there is sludge in the system, and there's not a lot you can do. Taking rads off and sucking at the unions with an aquavac (as Wickes £40 one) might help.

SLudge is a problem with primatics as you can't add inhibitors. Only solution is to change the cylinder, usually adding "fully pumped" controls if you don't have them. And you'll need to get the heating power flushed. Expensive, sorry.

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply I really appreciate it.

I will drain the system again. I will also take off all the rads and flush them outside with the hose.

Is there any way to isolate the HW tank so I can try and flush the system
with the mains cold water, like loop it or just bung it?
Say if I remove a radiator downstairs and connect one hose from the cold water mains to the return and then drain off outside from the feed?

Thanks Chris.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back