Repairing mixer tap ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cold water drips on my kitchen mixer tap. I took it apart and found it consists of two ceramic plates and a thick rubber washer - I went to the local diy shop and was advised that the only "repair" possible was to descale everything.
I tried that, and it now turns on and off much easier - but still drips.
If at all possible I'd rather not replace the whole mixer - does anyone know if I can replace just the tap bodies or if it's worth persevering in the hunt for a replacement washer and or ceramic discs ?
Thanks in advance !

Sponsored Links
The two ceramic discs must be pressed together under pressure in order for an effective seal.

Normally a metallic spring is used but perhaps on yours the thick rubber washer gives the same effect.

You may be able to source another washer. The discs must be spotless on their mating faces.

Alternatively you can obtain new valve inserts (try B&Q) however I find there are little standards now and they may not fit.

Gasguru said:
The two ceramic discs must be pressed together under pressure in order for an effective seal.

Normally a metallic spring is used but perhaps on yours the thick rubber washer gives the same effect.

You may be able to source another washer. The discs must be spotless on their mating faces.

Alternatively you can obtain new valve inserts (try B&Q) however I find there are little standards now and they may not fit.

Thanks for the quick response, any suggestions on how to clean the mating faces ? I left them in descaler (twice) for 10-15 minutes, rinsed and wiped dry with a cloth and then re-assembled (with fingers).

The tap also leaks slightly along the spindle, if that casts any further light.

Finally - and this may be a slightly stupid question - but given that the hot tap is fine and the hot pressure is substantially less than the cold, what would happen if I just swapped the two valves ? Obviously they would both open the opposite way to the way they do now, but would the lower pressure be less likely to force its way through the leaky valve ?

I've never had to clean the mating surfaces - if they are perfectly flat and clean you should feel them "stick" together with a slight coating of water.

The leak on the spindle will probably be failure of the "O" ring seal. Make sure the spindle is free of scale and not scored, the O ring is still pliable. reassemble with silicone grease.

It may be worth swapping over the valves.

Are you sure there is no metallic spring disc to force the discs together.

My own taps (15 years old) started to drip - the springs just required a bit of fettling to force more pressure on the discs. Good for another 15 years I reckon. Yes I am a tight wad - my Hotpoint washing machines only 17 years old (ok I've rebuilt it a few times) :)

Sponsored Links
Definitely no spring - it's something like the arrangement shown at

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/ceramic_disc_taps.htm

... although the two discs are almost identical (if you look at photo 8, they are both shaped like part A, not part B)

The washer has slight indentations where it sits on the disc lugs - so I think it might need replacing.

Any idea how easy it is to get hold of new valve inserts - the B & Q I tried on the way home last night didn't stock them, but said I might be able to get them at a larger B&Q.

I've tried a few times to stop a leak through one bt not sicceeded, so have to replace the whole valve.
Look at a load of tap sellers on the net - Ideal Standard, Bristan etc etc.
If you can't recognise the tap the chances of finding an insert which works is minimal.
A pair of decent make cartridges may cost more than a cheap tap. Whole mixers come in from China for a couple of pounds.

I have just changed my ceramic inserts From B&Q. I was lucky the guy in B&Q said there were 7 different types but they only had 3, best to take the insert down with the handle (splines could be different)
JonB

Thanks to everyone for their advice - I managed to get a replacement valve from Travis-Perkins (they sell them singly, about 9 pounds each) and fitted it at the weekend. Apart from being a millimetre too long, it's perfect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back