Removal of adhesive from floorboards before sanding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I've been sanding some of the floorboards in my house and one of the rooms had self-adhesive tiles, which I've removed with a hot air gun and wallpaper scraper.

I've removed most of the adhesive (painstakingly) but there's still a very thin residue on the floorboards, which is quickly clogging the sandpaper (the sanding sheets cost £ 2.50 each so I can't afford to keep changing them!). Also, since I tried sanding the glue, my chest is hurting from the dust, which is a bit ominous (I was wearing the supplied dust mask)!

I've tried a few different things including vinegar water but I'm struggling to remove this last little bit. I don't particularly want to continue with melting/burning with the hot air gun because the fumes are dodgy.

I was just wondering if there's a product, which dries the sticky stuff up for simple removal. Also, considering how old the glue is, I'm concerned for my health & safety (I've read that the tiles/glue could contain asbestos).

Any ideas/assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks very much! :D

Sponsored Links
scott.mcgowan

Try green scouring pads, dipped in solvent thinners,in a well ventilated room
wear rubber gloves for this job and safety googles/an mask as the solvent can splash,

If you are having chest pains,its probably caused by the fumes, when you heated the tiles.The masks that are supplied are as much good as a chocolate frying pan! I would persevere with the roughest sandpaper, and forget using any kind of solvent.It sounds as if you have done enough damage to your lungs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back