2 week old skim plaster-microporous paint or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this subject has been discussed before - so apologies! The ceiling was skimmed 2 weeks ago and needs to be painted now(carpet due). Should I use microporous paint for new plaster (to be safe) or matt emulsion. If microporous route, do you need to dilute the first coat? Thanks as usual !!

Sponsored Links
Assuming you are refering to indoors then use Dulux Trade Supermatt over new plaster AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ON THE TUB. Also NEVER wallpaper over Dulux Trade Supermatt.

If its just a skim then I dont think it really matters..it would only be a few mm deep and if its been allowed to dry out ok then there wont be a problem.

But then again I dont think it really matters much on a ceiling anyway..its not as if its going to get scuffed or have finger marks on it...the onlt time contract emulsion (vinyl free) is a bit of a pain on ceilings is when your papering and to go to wipe the access paste from te ceiling and a milking residue from the paint comes with it

If im papering a room I always use vinyl emulsion on a ceiling...I normally got for contract if im just emulsioning the walls

Thanks guys. Its that question'when is the skim dry'!! If i dont think it is properly dry, use supermatt and if i am sure it is dry, use a mist coat of vinyl emulsion - is that about the sum of it? Dulux retail matt emulsion does not say how much to dilute - it says use plaster sealer(Dulux!!). What mix would be right for coating the fresh plaster skim with dulux retail matt Thanks John

Sponsored Links
Id say about 15-20% should be fine for a mist coat

If its only a skim and given the weather and the time period since your last post id say it would be well dry..

Be carefull "jamiller" because some dulux retail matt NEED to be sealed (with Dulux Plaster Sealer) prior to over coating with dulux retail matt !

How do you mean 'some' third?...certain colours?..I never heard of that but I'll be interested in knowing way...I'll e mail dulux to see where they are coming from over it.

Now Ive mixed up my 20% dulux matt for TOMORROW !! me thinks should I (third-eye!) or shouldn't I. The dulux matt is the rich matt as sold in diy stores. any progress-anyone. Ta

jamiller said:
Now Ive mixed up my 20% dulux matt for TOMORROW !! me thinks should I (third-eye!) or shouldn't I. The dulux matt is the rich matt as sold in diy stores. any progress-anyone. Ta
There is the problem "jamiller" in the way your have worded your previous post. Cos you call the paint 'dulux matt' but then you call it 'The dulux matt is the rich matt'. These are two different paints, hence "Zampa" question ! Therefore YOU MUST SEAL POROUS SURFACES WITH DULUX PLASTER SEALER PRIOR TO APPLYING DULUX RICH MATT IF POROUS SURFACE HAS NEVER BEEN PAINTED BEFORE. But if u use Dulux Matt the all you do is thin down first coat (WHICH IS A DIFFERENT PAINT)

Thanks for the explanation third eye. I will try and be a little clearer with my paint specs next time!

Third eye:

What is it about "rich matt" that doesn't allow this :?:

Me no know ! But on another web forum a guy was being nasty about the Plasterers & Artexers that done a job for him. The guy explained that he refused to pay Plasterers & Artexers as when the he painted over the new porous surfaces with Dulux Rich Matt that some of the Dulux Rich Matt was not drying and was flaking, even after 3 weeks of painting. The guy said the Plasterers & Artexers advised the him to use Matt Emulsion, but he bought Dulux Rich Matt (i.e. two different paints). This resulted in the guy asking for advice on another web forum of which i explained to him that did he read the instructions of the Dulux Rich Matt and he said no. So, i had to explain that the job going all wrong was in actual fact all his fault as he used wrong emulsion and he did not read instructions and this resulting in not using Dulux Plaster Sealer prior to applying Dulux Rich Matt. OUCH.

Ive got a feeling its down to the fact that its a bit pigment heavy...which would lead it to not absorb into new surfaces very wel...only a guess

At least my Q prompted a discussion!! I looked at the two tins and matt emulsion says it can be diluted for porous surfaces where as rich matt (diff paint third eye ;) ) says nothing about diluting and to use plaster sealer. I suppose in hindsight the clue was on the tin , but, sometimes you guys know different from practical experience. Thanks alot. I used supermatt in the end (to be safe) - I presume I can overcoat this with matt or rich matt at a later date?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back