Hole in breeze block wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone offer some advice please. I have an internal garage in my detached house, the wall between the house and garage is a double breeze block construction.

Above the garage is the bedroom and I want to cut a hole in the side of the wall to a depth of about half a breeze block so that I can build a recess to place an LCD TV. The easiest way is probably to cut the opening completely removing the block put in a lintel and bricking up again.

Question is am I allowed to do this or is it in breach of building regs etc.

My other alternative is to come up with a device to lower the TV from the loft through the ceiling I have seen them on the internet but they cost £1k :eek: Anyone made such a device or have any ideas.

The TV is 1 32 inch and is 5 inch deep but I am strapped for space in the bedroom. I need to be able to watch the football hence the mad ideas, already bought the tele that went down well. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It would be almost impossible to remove ½ the depth of the blockwork & removing it all will require a lintel & inspection by building control; but you will then be breaching the cavity (insulation!) & I’m not sure what they would say about that.

I must say it seems an awful lot of trouble to go to in order to mount a flat panel TV, why don’t you just get a wall bracket! I’ve just installed one in my conservatory but run all the cables behind a false plasterboard wall on 30mm timber battens. The other thing you should consider is that both plasma & LDC flat panels need good air circulation for cooling or you stand a big risk of frying the electronics; mounting in an enclosure as you describe will seriously restrict air flow.

Thanks for your reply, the problem I have is lack of space, I only have about a foot at the end of the bed and sticking the tv flat on the wall is going to take too much space up, hence idea of sitting it in the wall.

I did think of removing the breeze block completley, cutting them in half then rebuilding that way the wall is still there so cavity not breached.

My idea of dropping it from the ceiling is looking best at the moment not sure how I can justify the cost to her in doors. :)

The games are all on in the afternoon or early evening. What you doing going to bed to watch?!? I think you want it for other forms of entertainment!

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: Chance would be a fine thing! Have you tried to prise a woman away from afternoon or evening tv? the only peace I am going to get is locked away in the bedroom.

karawara88 said:
:LOL: :LOL: Chance would be a fine thing! Have you tried to prise a woman away from afternoon or evening tv? the only peace I am going to get is locked away in the bedroom.
:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back