big spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys i have what may be a silly question

i have a shed that i intend to give electricity. i am running 2 strip lights 2 x double sockets and a 360w pond pump, 40w air pump and 55w uv lamp, there will never be a big current drawn from the sockets (nothing like a kettle or anything anyway!) im intending to use a mcb (20A) spured off from the ring into armoured cable (about 15m long) into a fuse box in the shed. this then splits into a 5amp lighting circuit and a 15a socket circuit.

the question before you all laugh... is this legal... and is it safe? the armoured cabel is in free air so current capability should be ok.. i just need to find what size it is (im suspecting 2.5mm)

thanks in advance

Steve

Sponsored Links
Spurs from a ring main can only be 13A - use a 13A FCU, connected to no less than 1.5mm² cable, preferably 2.5mm².

How will the armoured cable be in free air? It MUST be fixed to a permenant wall (the house) or buried at least 18 inches deep.

You need to tell LABC about this work - it IS notifiable.

Thats pretty meaty pond equipment! How bigs the pond? any pictures?

thanks for the reply... so using a fcu... i can then add those sockets that i want and the lighting?

its a pretty hefty pond.. about 2500 gallons... and a pump of 3000gph... so its a reasonable size... no pics yet as its still in progress.

wire i think is 2.5mm... and my intention is to eventually connect direct to the fuse box ... however... time is against me at the moment so i need to use this shortcut until i can butcher the house (fuse box is opposite side of house to pond) and i will probably also then run it into the garage and run a feed from the garage

the cable is running above ground against concreted in gravel boards along the garden perimeter

i was also told by local planning office when checking prefab garage constuction that electrics do not need notifying.. even to the shed... but if it is notifyable... well i'll wait until i have it connected up to the fuse box :)

i'll see if i can get some pics up when its done

Thanks

Steve

steveoliver said:
its a pretty hefty pond.. about 2500 gallons... it is notifyable... well i'll wait until i have it connected up to the fuse box :)

Ever heard of an RCD and Methods of Shock Protection / disconnection times etc ???Water and Electricity do not mix!! I suggest you get somebody to help you out with this one , because it is NOT as simple as tagging wires off wherever you like - if you are adding to your ring etc you need to test the altered circuit for EFLI etc. Outside power is not to be underestimated, and to do it properly requires lots of skill and knowledge. Are you familiar with making off ends of SWA to include a protective CPC sheath?? There are so many issues you need to be aware of , and you do not sound like you have the competence to do it.

Looks like whatever I tell you , you're gonna do it your way anyway - just be careful - peoples lives are at risk . Not to mention the fish!!

Sponsored Links
yes i have heard and used an RCD, and i came on here to see if my ideas are valid... which it is obvious they arent! isnt this what forums are about?

my new intention is to come from the main house fuse box... to the Shed and have a small Consumer unit in there with a breaker and rcd (advice on best ways would be appreciated). im not going to do this without the help of an electician, so therefore it will be up to scratch.

i agree that water and electricity dont mix, however i forgot to state that everything is external to the pond, ie its an external pump (ip55 rated, and under cover) which makes it considerably safer, the power i will be drawing at any one time from this circuit is unlikely to get past 1500w

thanks

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back