Dripping pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently noticed a drip (which becomes a puddle) :( where my overflow pipe is which comes from my cistern in the bathroom. I have tried putting sealent on it but it doesnt do anything. I think its lead. does anyone know of a cheap fix? I know i should probably replace the ballcock in the cistern but this will be expensive wont it?

Sponsored Links
expensive? Are you mad?

p1816516_l.jpg
£1.99

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid=1FM3GHT55UUFMCSTHZOCFGA?id=88427&ts=84789

Though personally I prefer this sort which cost nearly six pounds but are a lot quieter.
p1034518_l.jpg

nice one. is this the correct thing for the cistern. The one thats in my upstairs hot water tank boiler cupboard?Is this easy to fix on and where can i get one? what are they called?
cheers... :)

Sponsored Links
Take a torch and look at the old one. See how long it is and if it is attached to a pipe from the side of the cistern (like the one in my picture). Measure its length. It may be made of brass or plastic. If it is brass you will need a new plastic float as well, if plastic you can re-use the old one. Observe the various nuts and consider if you already have an adjustable spanner to fit.

I call it a ball-cock. People who are embarrassed to mention "balls" or "cocks" may call it a float valve.

Make your way to a plumbers merchant, DIY store or ironmongers. Try to get one the same length as your old one, although if, when you were measuring, you saw you had plenty of room, a longer one will be OK.

Take the new one home and tinker with the nuts until you understand how it is fitted, and with the adjusting screw until you understand how the water level is set. Then turn off the water supply and remove the old one, fit the new one, turn on, and see if you have any leaks.

MrBen, is it the leak from the toilet overflow?

If from the toilet overflow, just need to open cistern lid, shut off supply and as JohnD says, can replace float valve altogether, but probably only need to replace the diaphragm in the valve (usually a small black rubber washer) Make sure you note which way you took it out and put new one in the same way.

These washers often perish - cheap and easy to replace.

If leak from overflow pipe from tank in loft, get out the torch and ladder and same again.

Invest in a decent DIY manual if you can turn your hand to little jobs - will probably save you a lot in the long run for minor problems like this.

Good point about the washer - i usually fit a new ballcock for speed, then if I feel like it, take the old one apart on the kitchen table at my leisure and fit a new washer, then put the repaired valve up in the loft, next to the cistern, ready for next time.

I don't like replacing washers in situ because of the bits that slip from my fingers and fall to the bottom of the tank in dark and cramped conditions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back