bath tap swap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my existing seperate bath taps with a mixer unit. It is only now that I have noticed that the existing taps are reversed, can I just obtain a couple of flexible pipes, cut back the existing copper pipes, cross over the flexis and reconnect? Will I need to purchase anything else or will I just need the flexi's?

Sponsored Links
Is it a thermostatic tap? If not it doesn't matter. Just make sure you have the red marker on the hot one.

No it isnt thermostatic but it has ceramic valves and I have been told that the guts of the hot & cold are different materials.... course this could be pure BS !! But I would like the taps the right way around if I can.

Sure - different grades of BS... :rolleyes:
First - is the supply hgh or low pressure and does the mixer suit that?

Sponsored Links
I dont know what is classed as high or low pressure (I am used to working with 200 bar hydraulics so its all low pressure to me) It is mains pressure fed but I dont know what pressure the supply is at. The hot is fed from a newly fitted 'balanced' condensing boiler so my understanding is that the hot will be at the same pressure as the cold and I was advised (by the bloke who sold me the mixer and said that the hot & cold had different 'guts') that this mixer will be fine on my system, but he didnt ask what pressure I had !

So any reasonable advice will be most welcome - from anyone who actually knows what they are talking about - so please continue...

You obviously have a lot more idea than me - or the bloke who flogged me the taps - or for that matter the previous plummer who piped it up back to front in the first place.... :confused:

Your initial suggestion will not be very pretty but it will be hidden by the bath panel I assume and will work if the "guts" are different.

All you will need are 3/4inch female to 22mm pushfit flexibles.

Thanks for that Joe Bloggs - I will be shopping tomorrow.

Thanks for your comments one and all.

I will let you know how I get on.... :)

Success .. it works very well, the only minor hiccup is that the flexis only have a 10mm bore and I think they restrict the flow a bit. The bath fills a bit slower than before but nothing drastic... Thanks to all for your comments.. :D

squeaky said:
Hot tap should always be on the left
Not necessarily, If I start a bath suite from scratch, I usually fit the hot nearest to the wall to prevent children reaching the hot tap. Then fit the basin with the hot and cold symmetrically. If the taps are at the back of the bath (neither being nearest to the wall) then I would agree on keeping the cold on the right.

You just like confusing blind people :eek: That`s where the reasoning for H-L.........C-R came from:cool:

I was told that it is supposed to be 'standard' with the cold on the right because most people are right handed so they unconciously reach for the cold first - especially in an emergency. I can also see the logic (no pun intended) for the blind or poorly sighted !!

Thats the way mine are now anyway ? :confused: :D

You are quite right and I am disappointed that someone fitting them professionally does not follow the existing convention.

I wonder if he is a member of the Institute?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back