International Easy Sand (liquid sandpaper)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought I'd share this with you.
I thought I'd try International Easy Sand on my back door. It's a liquid that you are supposed to "wipe on, wipe off" and it's supposed to prepare the previous painted or varnished surface for another coat. (The door has clear yacht varnish over the top of exterior woodstain.)
I wiped it on, waited for it to dry and wiped it off. Nothing. Read the instructions. Said to "apply moderate pressure" when you apply it. So I tried moderate pressure. Nothing. So then I tried hard pressure, guess what. Nothing. It doesn't work - the door still had a high gloss finish. Oh well, back to B&Q it goes and out comes the sandpaper.

Sponsored Links
Its crap...just like the ESP stuff...waste of time...

ID RATHER USE A PRIMER LIKE MDF PRIMER OR SUPER GRIP, THAT WAY THE SURFACE GETS A COAT OF SOMETHING TO BLOT IT OUT AT THE SAME TIME..

oops cap attack...sorry!

gcol said:
Just thought I'd share this with you.
I thought I'd try International Easy Sand on my back door. It's a liquid that you are supposed to "wipe on, wipe off" and it's supposed to prepare the previous painted or varnished surface for another coat. (The door has clear yacht varnish over the top of exterior woodstain.)
I wiped it on, waited for it to dry and wiped it off. Nothing. Read the instructions. Said to "apply moderate pressure" when you apply it. So I tried moderate pressure. Nothing. So then I tried hard pressure, guess what. Nothing. It doesn't work - the door still had a high gloss finish. Oh well, back to B&Q it goes and out comes the sandpaper.
Cheers for letting us all know "gcol"

Sponsored Links
It was'nt sarcasm, as it it was an thank you for sharing that with everyone, as now everyone knows. Unfortunatly you are reading the posts again with some paranoia chemicals running through your Frontal Lobe.

Unfortunately you have missed the point if you expected a 'sanded' finish. Easy Sand is a great product and works by combining a deagreasing agent and extreamly fine silica sand (the sort that is used in some metal polishes) to help cut through surface contaminants; it 'keys' the surface even though you cannot see it . Modern paints stick strongly to old painrted surfaces, gloss or otherwise, provided it is free from contaminants.
I have used it for over 15 years now to great effect and have never had a problen. - try it, you won't be disapointed. loose or damaged paint will still need to be sanded down with sandpaper.
International Paints (Easy Sand) or Polycell (Liquid Sandpaper) do not market products that don't perform as promoted.

It's YOU that's missed the point, The post is 5 years old. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well I dug out a 5year old tin of esy sand and it took the sheen off an old glossed door :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back