Using old 15mm indirect cylinder flow pipe for DHW supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potential customer who has a duplex apartment and who wishes to exchange his old system boiler with a combi. The construction of the apartment makes the pipework problematical. It will be a huge amount of work and disruption to lift the floor between the boiler and the old airing cupboard.

He currently has no electrical stats at all. The cylinder temperature is controlled by a tap stat and this is supplied by a length of 15mm copper running under the floor from the boiler to the airing cupboard. Fortunately, all of the other pipework I need to connect up the new combi is in the cupboard containing the old boiler.

I am going to power flush the system obviously, but I am not sure if the old 15mm bit of copper is going to be suitable to use for the DHW supply. I can of course connect the flushing machine to both ends of the copper and dedicate the entire flow to cleaning this one section of pipe.

My question is, has anyone made use of an old bit of primary pipework like this for a new hot water supply?

Ta

Sponsored Links
NO, but I know a man who has. He used an ex heating pipe for part of a hot tap water supply to a bath. His "cleaning" was just to put the mains through it for a while! I couldn't taste anything wrong with it.

All sorts of chemicals could be useful of course - DS40 (citric acid) would shift most of the heating scale, and standard chlorine pipe disinfectants would kill any bugs, not that I'd expect there to be any.

ChrisR said:
used an ex heating pipe for part of a hot tap water supply to a bath. His "cleaning" was just to put the mains through it for a while! I couldn't taste anything wrong with it.

You drank hot tap water from a bath @ a "friends" house :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
You drank hot tap water from a bath @ a "friends" house :eek: :LOL:

You've not heard the story about Prince Edward (not that one, Q Vic's son), his shooting friends, and the showgirl?

By way of entertainment, they paid a floozy to bathe naked in champagne while they watched. The butler, having a sense of economy, re-bottled and chilled it afterwards, and served it at dinner in a fruit cup.

Funny thing was, he said that although he used twelve dozen bottles to fill the bath, when he re-bottled and served it, there were twelve dozen and a half.

We asked the IoP technical dept the same question last year, and they forbid us from doing it.....

Simon

www.hwch.co.uk

PS: Tempting though

Had a similar problem tried to use and old cylinder return had, so much crap even after flushing had to re run pipe anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back