hotpoint WD61 - Not emptying...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice. My WD61 will not empty and as such is unable to spin. If you're squemish you may not want to read on but...

My daughter was sick over her own and my bedding during friday night, I washed everything saturday morning on a 60 wash, then a boil (some remaining stains...) machine was fine. I then did a 40 wash and went out, when I returned it hadnt drained, tried to spin it off but nothing. I've since run a quick wash cycle (to see if it would reset something??) and two 95 cycles (with an empty drum) thinking the hot water would push through any blockage (I'm thinking the sick which was very thick and obviously dry by morning has clogged something?!) but all to no avail.

I'm loathe to call out hotpoint as I'm sure its something stupid as it did the earlier washes fine and it's been such a reliable machine, although perhaps at 5yrs old she's ready to retire?
Is there a filter somewhere I can get to? cant see anything obvious?

Hope someone can help.
Thanks
Tracie

Sponsored Links
You need to look for the filter on the machine this may be behind the kicked panel or behind a filter flap door the machine has obviously go some large particals of Puke stuck in the filter thus not allowing the water to drain freely, this can be cured by removing and cleaning the filter. Some machines will also have a Sump hose with a filter inside the sump hose (if not behind a kicker plater or filter door) which may need to be removed and cleaned.
How To Test for a blocked filter?
Pull the machine out from the wall to give you access to the rear and and drop the waste pipe to ground level and into a basin or pot, if the water flows freely the filter is not blocked and you are probably looking at a blocked or siezed pump. Replacement pumps are available at all major suppliers or try your local Qualtex supplier for a cheap alternative.
The only machine this will not work on would be one with a high level exit from the machine or Miele which all usually have an air break fitted in the waste hose.

Hope this is of sue.

LaundrySpares&Repairs said:
You need to look for the filter on the machine this may be behind the kicked panel or behind a filter flap door the machine has obviously go some large particals of Puke stuck in the filter thus not allowing the water to drain freely, this can be cured by removing and cleaning the filter. Some machines will also have a Sump hose with a filter inside the sump hose (if not behind a kicker plater or filter door) which may need to be removed and cleaned.
How To Test for a blocked filter?
Pull the machine out from the wall to give you access to the rear and and drop the waste pipe to ground level and into a basin or pot, if the water flows freely the filter is not blocked and you are probably looking at a blocked or siezed pump. Replacement pumps are available at all major suppliers or try your local Qualtex supplier for a cheap alternative.
The only machine this will not work on would be one with a high level exit from the machine or Miele which all usually have an air break fitted in the waste hose.

Hope this is of sue.

:eek:
they dont have a filter flap on that model mate.
she has an askoll pump on that machine and they are poor at best
take out the pump and replace it
cost about 7 quid
3 screws hold the pump to the chamber
5 min job
DO YOU FIX APPLIANCES FOR A LIVING SPARES OR REPAIR?????
I DOUBT IT JUDGING BY YOUR REPLIES
MOST UNUSUAL!!!!
:eek:

Sponsored Links
I decided to call in an engineer (not hotpoint) a local guy. I dont have anyone who could attempt a pump change for me and to be honest I decided to have one last try at a 95 wash to try to flush it through but it gave off a burning type of smell when it spun... hopefully not the motor??? The engineer is coming saturday am. he's quoted me £35 if its a blockage, or £58 for a pump change... given that thats the problem.

Thanks for asking

a new pump from e-bay costs about £12 inc postage ! and its easy to get to the filter - its situated in the black hose from the drum to the pump .

I know all this as just done mine :)

surely one of the local guys on the forum could have a look at it for you - ??? :!:

I know the pump itself is really cheap, I looked around and saw some universals at £7, but my DIY skills dont stretch as far as appliances :) and to be honest I can barely pull the machine out from its 'hole' let alone push it back or lie it down, no I may be a hot headed female who likes to be independent but I'm afraid I have to draw the line somewhere and know where I need 'a man that does'!! LOL

As for the locals on here helping.... well i'm afraid no one made such an offer.... and I tried two of the numbers listed for 'engineers in my area' but one was an anwer machine and the other didn't answer at all.
My man who does.... I got him from the good old Thompson Local!

Thanks for your time, hope your machine behaves :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back