pump problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hotpoint WD61 not draining or spin !
I drained all the water out , cleaned the filter inside the hose from drum to pump , therefore no water in machine . I then set the machine cycle to 'spin' but all I get is a slow moving drum !! Shouldn't this of gone into spin cycle ?? Is there any sensors to stop it spinning ??

Or am I right in thinking it may be the motor brushes as I took these out and have only approx 8mm of carbon brush sticking out

================================
please notre forum rule 6 your post has been split

Sponsored Links
brushes sound ok mate
could be the module
could be the pressure switch depending on model
my guess would be module

its a Hotpoint Aquarius WD61 , bought Feb 2001

What you mean by module ??...do you mean the circuit board ?

and where is the pressure switch

Lets walk before we run, if the pressure switch still under the impression that the drum is full of water then it won't spin, you need to check the pressure pot to ensure it's clear and not blocked by a build up of 'silica perborate' will need to be removed and cleaned and the real good news is that it can be an absolute *******s to get at. You looking for a small tube running of a larger vessel on the under side of the drum, this hose / tube in turn will run all the way up to the pressure switch. The real easy way to test if it's blocked is pull the hose of the pressure switch and listen for a click. you can blow down this tube but it is unlikely to clear the problem for long as it will come back if it's not totally cleared. (Note less credible wanna be engineers use this technique cos it's means another call out in a few months time) Happy hunting and yes a module is an elctronic control board which regulates the motor speed among other things

Sponsored Links
ok , thanks for the info , I will try that asap ...

just to clarify ...should the machine still drain even if spin cycle is knackered ?
as machine was full of water but even when I physically drained it , the machine didn't spin when mode selected ( both full and half spin tried !)

Ok , I fitted new brushes but at the same time gave the pipe( to pressure switch) a blow/suck and also whilst on drain I manually pumped the waste pipe and blocked outlet to give some back pressure ....

All this seemed to of sorted out the problem ..but what was main fix I don't know ( or was it a combination of them ??)

Anyhow , all I get now is a slight squeel from main drive AC motor .

I also have another question which I'll post new to do with the suspension struts/ dampers ?? .....are these replaceable as the one's on my machine offer hardly an absorbtion hence machine drum bouncing all over place !!

cheers
Mike

didn't fix 100% as on next wash it still hadn't drained fully , some water still in bottom of drum ...so I set to spin again as when on drain I blocked the outlet drain pipe for a few seconds and then water came gushing out ....did exactly the same on next wash after !!!
This I presume points at a dodgy pump ??? Can they be repaired or is it easier just to fit a new one ??

( still get a squeal from motor though-- rephrase that - it's more like a buzzing fly noise !!..don't thing its bearings as appears to come from brushes/commutator !! ) when motor runs clockwise one of the brushes slightly sparks , when run's anti-clockwise the other brush slighly sparks ..I'll get a com brush and clean commutator and let you all know the outcome

:D :D :D :D :D :D ( crosses fingers !)

new pump fitted , and all seems well !
Drains 100% now and spins much faster hence clothes come out nearly dry :LOL:

pump cost £4.99 ( £10 inc the postage ) off e-bay ! a brand new Hotpoint pump as well for that , and not a fake rip off one ! :D

thanks all and hope this post helps others :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back