padlock security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Need a bit of practical advice if anyone can help please.

How can I prevent an idiot from putting glue or similar into the barrel on a padlock please? I have two padlocks securing a garage and someone keeps finding it amusing to glue up the lock so that I cant get the key in.
I've already had to hack-saw two off and untill I can get the court case sorted out, where I'll sue for compensation, I need a temporary fix.

Is there a lock availabe which, for example, works using electronically programmed magnetic entry keys, etc., like some council door entry systems.

OR......

.....does anyone know the best method of removing the glue, which is usually pink in colour. I tried picking it out with something sharp and ive tried softening it with hot water.

Any help appreciated.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
cyberdyne said:
Hi there,
Need a bit of practical advice if anyone can help please.

How can I prevent an idiot from putting glue or similar into the barrel on a padlock please? I have two padlocks securing a garage and someone keeps finding it amusing to glue up the lock so that I cant get the key in.
I've already had to hack-saw two off and untill I can get the court case sorted out, where I'll sue for compensation, I need a temporary fix.

Is there a lock availabe which, for example, works using electronically programmed magnetic entry keys, etc., like some council door entry systems.

OR......

.....does anyone know the best method of removing the glue, which is usually pink in colour. I tried picking it out with something sharp and ive tried softening it with hot water.

Any help appreciated.
Thank you.

taste it, it might be chewing gum :LOL:

Sponsored Links
jbonding said:

lol
Its almost a solid consistency
....and the weather is warm
....and it had only been there 9 hours at the most.

But thanks anyway.

cyberdyne said:
jbonding said:

lol

But thanks anyway.

No serious, you may be able to extract DNA. ;)

jbonding said:
cyberdyne said:
jbonding said:

lol

But thanks anyway.

jbonding, thanks for trying to make light of the situation, but if you knew the hassle we'd been through with our said 'problem neighbours' besides the petty 'lock abuse', you'd think twice. lets leave it at that eh?
cheers.

cyberdyne said:
jbonding said:
cyberdyne said:
jbonding said:

lol

But thanks anyway.

jbonding, thanks for trying to make light of the situation, but if you knew the hassle we'd been through with our said 'problem neighbours' besides the petty 'lock abuse', you'd think twice. lets leave it at that eh?
cheers.

can you not fit a camera, a real or dummy one may stop it happening. ;)

jbonding said:
can you not fit a camera, a real or dummy one may stop it happening. ;)

No. Unfortunately, its an off-site garage and theres nowhere to fix one.
Thanks.

jbonding said:
what about a combination lock ;)

Yeah, i considered that, but think the numbered barrels might just as easily be clogged with this material currently being used on the locks.

The magnetic padlocks seem like a good idea, but i cant help but wonder how long it would be before someone gets hold of a magnet which can do just the same as that which comes with it and acts as the genuine 'key'.

You might try an old-fashioned Lever padlock. Squire to a "660" which is fairly big and inexpensive. Chubb and ERA do some which are big and very strong and expensive.

the method of construction makes them more difficult to clog with grit, you can wash then in paraffin (or i suppose glue dissolver) and you might be abe to fix them so gravity will take glue into the dirt-trap at the bottom rather than up into the mechanism. they can also be oiled very heavily and not jam. maybe something thick like gear-oil would prevent the glue from sticking? It would also have the advantage of making their hands dirty and greasy.

Pink? i wonder if it is gripfill or something like that?

But if you have problem neighbours they'll find another way to annoy you.

I suppose you could record the "malicious damage" with the police, probably won't do any good. Or hide in the garage or nearby and hope to catch them.

What type of garage door is it ?. Up/over, roller, barn doors, wooden, metal, fibreglass ?. Does the garage have a power supply ?. How much are you willing to spend on a temp solution ?.

I could make an entirely reckless probably illlegal suggestion...it would involve a power source, some wiring and a switch (so you can prevent yourself from getting a nasty electric shock).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back