How to wire a light from an extension cord?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in Australia. This maybe should be in the 'electrics outside of UK ' forum but I figured it was a general sort of question and there's many, many more people reading this forum. So I hope you'll all understand and forgive.

I want to put a light in the shed.

I've got a 10metre extension cord and a light socket ('batten holder' they call it) and a 40watt bulb and I'm ready to do the job.

which I've often done before.

But I'm remembering a guy one time looking at what I'd done and telling me I'd wired up the wrong wires and created a hazard. That's the last time I ever did it.

Now I want to get it straight, once and for all - what should I do? How should it be wired up?

Live in one side? Neutral out the other? That's what I'd think. Is that right, or what?

And a switch, if I ever put one in instead of just pulling the plug each time, should go in the live wire, right?

I've had a good google around and read all the wikipedia articles and would you believe I've been unable to find instructions for this simple task.

And they don't put them on the component packaging in Australia, probably deliberately because it is against the law to do your own wiring in this country. But no one is going to worry much about a wander lead, which is all this amounts to, especially not up here in the Northern Territory where everyone thinks they are crocodile dundee....

Anyone help, please?

And, of course, I'll be happy to answer any queries anyone has about Australian stuff that is within my ability. (I noticed someone asking what voltage we used..... I could answer that :) )

regards,

ab :)

Sponsored Links
abrogard said:
I'm in Australia. This maybe should be in the 'electrics outside of UK ' forum but I figured it was a general sort of question and there's many, many more people reading this forum. So I hope you'll all understand and forgive.

If I let you post in the wrong forum, every one else will want to post in the wrong forum too

the wiring all sounds right.

i don't know what the aussie rules are on fusing for lights (you don't use fused plugs like we do) but if they are selling lamps without any built in fuses (which i suspect they are) then what you propose should be no worse than them in terms of safety

Sponsored Links
Back