Trip switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a trip switch in between the shower and the fuse board. It keeps tripping after 5mins use or so and has to keep being reset.

Is it likely to be a problem with a faulty trip or a problem with the shower? Could I bypass the trip short term to get it working? Might this cause a problem with the shower? Should I just buy a new trip and try that?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is more likely to be the shower. It may be for example there is a fault in the heating element allowing the water to get to the electrical parts.

How old is the shower? Does it have a ceiling-mounted switch and is the switch well away from possble water splash?

mrburns said:
Could I bypass the trip short term to get it working? Might this cause a problem with the shower?

It is more likely to cause a problem by killing you or a member of your family.

It is to prevent this happening that the RCD is fitted and cuts off the power when it detects a potentially dangerous fault.

Sponsored Links
Since the problem is likely to be inside the shower then I would say that its is correctly placed in this plumbing section as it relates to mainternance/repair of a plumbing item.

The "trip" is presumably the RCD which is required to be fitted in the supply to the shower. This must NEVER be bypassed as there is already a fault and that could give rise to a lethal electric shock.

The trip responds to a difference in current between the live and neutral and this is usually caused by a current flowing to earth. This may be due to a visible water leak within the shower or a leak within the heating element. The latter is often caused by overheating due to limescale on the element.

In most cases, unless its a very expensive shower, replacement is the most cost effective solution.

Tony Glazier

I should have asked - this thing that keeps tripping, what letters and numbers does it have on it, and has it got a "T" test button? Does it say "B40" or something like that?

It sounds as though you have an overload problem. It may be that the shower unit power rating is too high for the fused protection. Do not bypass this in any instance as it may allow cabling to get hot and potentially catch fire (if the cable is not rated properly). Check the power demand of the shower by dividing the power rating by 230 eg 9.5kw=9500/230=41.3Amps.
Therfore in the example the mcb protecting the shower should be at least 41Amps.
I would have an electrician check the installation out as it sounds as though its a retrofit install.

He's probably electrocuted himself so we will never find out

JohnD said:
I should have asked - this thing that keeps tripping, what letters and numbers does it have on it, and has it got a "T" test button? Does it say "B40" or something like that?

ryanunderwood said:
Check the power demand of the shower by dividing the power rating by 230 eg 9.5kw=9500/230=41.3Amps.
Therfore in the example the mcb protecting the shower should be at least 41Amps.

The proper size of RCBO for this shower is 40 amp.
A 40 amp RCBO will carry 40 amps FOREVER and not trip. At 41 amps it would probably never trip either but in any case would take a day or two. A RCBO (or MCB or fuse for that matter) works on the principal of heating up according to the amount of current being drawn.

Note also: The RCBO is there to protect the CABLE and is matched to the current-carrying capacity of the cable. Increasing the size of the RCBO to allow for a larger current could set the cable on fire.
You have been warned.

Anyway... The RCBO tripped out for a reason... do not bypass it. Get an electrician to check it out although this may cost close to half the price of a new shower. If the shower is old it may be as well just fitting a new one instead, as you may have to do this anyway.
:!:

Have you and Smithers been in the shower together :?: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back