tiling / waterproofing needed in bathroom - stupid question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I think this is probably a really stupid question, but please bear with me as I'm a complete novice, don't even know how to put a shelf up.

we have a mixer shower from the taps over the bath in the rented flat we just moved into, but there is no tiling in the bathroom, just a shower curtain on the side of the bath opposite the wall to protect the floor. This morning while I was using the shower to wash my hair, water leaked through the ceiling of the downstairs flat. I\\\'m assuming at the moment that this is because there are just bare painted walls by the shower, rather than a problem with the seal round the bath - is this right?

Now for the second part, I can\\\'t live without a shower so I need to persuade the landlord to put up some tiling or some sort of waterproofing. Can anyone give me an idea of how much it might cost to get suitable tiling put up around a bath tub so I can work out whether we can afford to pay for some or all of it? Can anyone think of a make-shift way to deal with this?

Sponsored Links
One makeshift way is to use another curtain, hanging down the walls into the bath. Sheets of plastic, even.

White tiles are a few quid a square metre in the sheds, but tilers ask £20/sq meter or so to fix them. If you take your time and read the how-to leaflets, diy is very viable.
Leaks are usually down the side of the bath.

Sponsored Links
thanks all - the shower curtain idea is good for now, but handy to know the tiles won't break the bank when we come to asking for them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back