Lead pipes and concrete floor- please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
The piping in my house is all copper except for some lead piping which is under the concrete kitchen floor. I would like to get rid of this as the water flows through it on the way into the house. What can I do- does the concrete floor need to come up or is there a more simple solution I'm too silly to see?!
Thanks
Alison

Sponsored Links
If your kitchen floor is concrete, and the others aren't, it may be that the water pipe runs under the hall floor and is accessible before it reaches the kitchen. In this case it may be easier to rerun the pipe with new and bring it above the kitchen floor to run along the bottom of the wall.

From the kitchen, does the pipe then turn upwards towards the bathroom or loft tank?

blainey said:
is there a more simple solution I'm too silly to see?!
Alison
More than likely. Firstly look for a route for a new pipe other than under the concrete floor - along the wall, behind kitchen units, through the floor/ceiling above, buried in the garden outside, etc. If you can find a suitable route then you can just abandon the old lead. might be worth checking out your water company's lead replacement scheme while you're at it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the replies. I think the water comes straight into the kitchen and a branch comes off to feed our upstairs neighbours system.
Alison

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back