Moving a combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can an existing combi boiler be moved to a new location in a property or does a condensing boiler have to be installed?

Sponsored Links
Technically it would still be subject to Notification through Corgi to Bldg Control. There's a code like 0000 to say it's a move, not a new boiler so doesn't have to be condensing. Worth doing for your Home Info Pack if you sell.

Thanks for replies. Not for me this one. Bloke at work is having a conservatory built. Flue is going to be in the conservatory. he's had some guys in to quote for the work but they've all said he'll have to renew his boiler. I'll pass the info on.

Sponsored Links
Just by chance there is an article about this in the lastest CORGI magazine.

Its not quite so simple! To be able to move an old gas boiler it has to be in good condition and the manufacturer's instructions available and the question of furture spare part availability has to be considered.

It may that some CORGIs would consider that its not worth moving an older boiler. Depending on the model and the reliability my view is that unless its only 3-4 years old its not worth moving.

It always comes as a surprise to householders but there is more work involved in moving a boiler than installing a new one!

The fuel saving advantage of a condensing boiler is quite significant and I am surprised that more people dont want to take advantage of this.

Tony Glazier

Its not quite so simple!
It always comes as a surprise to householders but there is more work involved in moving a boiler than installing a new one!

Too right.

I'm moving a Baxi Solo 2 50 PF next week. Customer wants the boiler moving 2 meters - currently it has a side exit flue, new position will have rear exit flue.

I've so far spent 2 Hrs sourcing all the parts just to re-configure the flue - new flue restrictor, turret cap, gaskets and seals, cover plates, - there are so many supeceeded parts and variants I still won't know untill I have the boiler in bits next week. Total aggro. Only doing the job to help out a colleague, initial estimates blown already, another loss. :(

Agile said:
Just by chance there is an article about this in the lastest CORGI magazine.

Its not quite so simple! To be able to move an old gas boiler it has to be in good condition and the manufacturer's instructions available and the question of furture spare part availability has to be considered.

It may that some CORGIs would consider that its not worth moving an older boiler. Depending on the model and the reliability my view is that unless its only 3-4 years old its not worth moving.

The fuel saving advantage of a condensing boiler is quite significant and I am surprised that more people dont want to take advantage of this.

Tony Glazier

Make up your mind, you are always warning folks about unscruplous installers, who only want to replace boilers that they evidently can not repair, and now you are saying that any boiler over 4 years old is not worth the effort.
Of course the boiler has to be in good running order and spares available,
but some older boilers are worth retaining as opposed to the new generation.

Personally I'll stick with my General Gordon - deluxe model with towel warmer.

Must remember to turn off the gas before getting in - gets a little warm on nether regions :)

image32va.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back