Draining single radiator using valve with drainoff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be a thick question but its the first time I have met a rad with a drainoff valve. I am assuming that I can drain the water out having closed the taps at each end.

I am wallpapering and have got to a Rad that I need to remove. It has a standard rad valve on one end and a valve with drain off at the bottom.

The question is. To drain the rad do I close both valves by screwing taps down, undo the bleed screw . Then after placing container under drainoff undo end of drain valve.

The type of valve with drain is Cosmos.

Thanks in anticipation of a response.

Sponsored Links
if it looks like
1074_l.jpg

then no, the drain off bit is for the system, not just the radiator

Yes it does look like the picture.

Thanks for the prompt answer, although its bad news from my perspective. I guess I have to close the valves and undo the large nuts next to the rad, or as a last resort switch the water off completely and drain the whole system. At least its a mild winter so far.

Thanks

Neil

(actually that picture is on its side) but yes turn both valves off put bowl (extra large economy size) under one nut, and undo said nut. when water stops open bleed valve SLOWLY, this will let air in and more water out of rad.

then undo other end's nut remove rad.

I hope you havent got trv's, (bigger valve with numbers in plain english) if it has set it to off

if you don't when it gets cold in the room the valve will open and.........

Sponsored Links
Instead of a big bowl use an aqua vac if you have one, quicker and less messy.

" am wallpapering and have got to a Rad that I need to remove. It has a standard rad valve on one end and a valve with drain off at the bottom.
"

The other way to go about it is to see if you can lilft the radiator a tad (without undoing the valves).
If you can, loosen the radiator valve unions (between the knob and the rad) just a bit - not enough to leak, then lift the rad off its brackets and "hinge" it down to the floor and do the unions up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back