Cast Iron waste pipe repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 cast iron waste pipes running through my flat, one in the kitchen & one in the bathroom. Both seem to have small leaks as rusty streaks run down them. They are soon to be boxed in & tiled over.

As it is unlikely the owners of the block will replace the stack, what is the best way to seal the pipes?

Sponsored Links
You need to work out exactly where the leaks are coming from.

20pictures said:
As it is unlikely the owners of the block will replace the stack, what is the best way to seal the pipes?

isnt that what you pay your anual charges for
the comunial repairs!!!!!!!!!!

I can see where the 'holes' are, there is a crusty red deposit at the source. The landlords were asked about replacing the stacks but opted for pressure hoseing instead. Stacks are some 70+ years old, complete with London County Council logos.

I suppose solder is out. I tried Loctite Repair Express putty but that leaks.

Sponsored Links
Denso......bean cans ........and a couple of long jubilee clip type straps from Halfords or similar.make a bandage ;) .......No, I`m not joking this time :eek:

if the leaks are from holes in the actual pipe it would be caused by either severe corrosion from inside or a crack in the pipe. Either way it's likely to got worse with time, so a temporary repair with denso tape will be just that - temporary.

The corrosion isn't necessarily severe, but it's likely to be the start of your problems, so patching, as chrishutt says, is temporary.

A good material to use would be something like "David's Isopon Metal".

If it really is a hole then drill out to say 8 mm and tap and fit a short bolt with some sealing material.

I used to do that on pressurised steel hot water cylinders!

Tony

Agile said:
If it really is a hole then drill out to say 8 mm and tap and fit a short bolt with some sealing material.
...and if it's a crack then this will open it out really nicely :rolleyes:

20pictures said:
I tried Loctite Repair Express putty but that leaks.
Thought that was like isopon ;) Might help to remove all the bitumen from the o/side of pipe and get to bright clean metal....then roughen to help "isopon" or similar to adhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back