Lighting switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Total novice but am replacing light switches in hall and landing after decorating!
One switch has caught me of guard!
It turns on a light in the loft and has a neon which lights up when on.

At the back is a rectangular boxwith connectors at each corner. The top 2 say IN, bottom 2 say OUT. A red wire goes into top and bottom left connectors and a black wire goes into the top and bottom right connectors.

I have a replacement switch with a single common at the top and L1 and L2 at the bottom. It has no neon.

How do I wire the new switch with the 2 reds and 2 blacks from my original switch?

Sponsored Links
Providing the switch definatly does only the loft light, then you need to put the two black wires in to a piece of strip connector, one of the reds (the feed if you can identify it) into the 'common' terminal and the other red (the switched live) into the L1 terminal. You do not need to connect anything to the L2 terminal

No. It will work either way round but it is convention to put the feed in the common terminal. The feed should have been connected to the terminals labled as either 'supply' or 'feed' on the old 20A DP switch that you are removing.

Sponsored Links
Hope your new switch is correctly rated for the circuit you have attached it to.............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back