Which condensing boiler (in UK) ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to get a central heating boiler / storage tank / header tank replaced with a condensing combi boiler and I am wondering which is the best one and why ?. I have a three bedroom detached house that currently has 8 radiators in it (maybe putting 2-3 more radiators and a shower if we get an extension in a couple of years).

I am thinking from the following points of view:

1) Running costs / efficiency
2) Servicing & availability of parts
3) Warranty
4) Noise
5) Overall quality of the unit.

I am not too worried about size as I am getting it fitted in my loft (all insulated and loft boarded).

Anyone care to comment ?

Thanks

EDIT: Forgot to mention this but I like the idea of some of these boilers where by they keep a certain about of water in the system that is kept hot ready to feed the hot water taps at the turn of a tap. I think its Valliant (or somthing) that do a system called "aqua-comfort".

Sponsored Links
mark.carline said:
I am thinking from the following points of view:

1) Running costs / efficiency
2) Servicing & availability of parts
3) Warranty
4) Noise
5) Overall quality of the unit.

Every person you get to quote for the job will recommend their own preferred brand. There is no correct answer, as no boiler is 100% reliable. However, to summarise you should be looking for a boiler that is Band A, stainless steel heat exchanger that has minimum 5 years warrranty(Atag and Viessmann give 10 years).

My own preference is for Atag. Get at least 3 quotes - one from British Gas :cool:

To clarify, he means five years on the heat exchanger.

The boilers themselves come with between 1 and 5 years warranty but all warranties require a service by a CORGI every year and exclude problems from a dirty system so make sure its power flushed by the installer and FULLY guaranteed to be clean.

Most problems with boilers are caused by dirt in the system.

Tony

Why only stainless steel ,what have you against an alloy heat exchanger ?

Sponsored Links
Well I got a quote back and wondered how does this sound:

Work to be done:

- remove existing boiler from kitchen
- remove existing storage tank & header tank from hallway upstairs
- remove all existing pipe workconnecting above.
- supply and install condensing boilder in loftspace
- supply a feed to a washing machine & dishwasher in same location (next to each other)
- connect 1 new radiator (I will supply)
- install new fused switched spur near combi boiler
- break into lead gas pipe and run 22mm copper boiler and remove some redundant lead gas supply
- install condensate run
- install exhaust pipe in tiles

He has given me the option of four different boilers and a price for the whole job next to each one:

BAXI HE 28Kw - 2125.60 inc 3 year warranty
ALPHA HE 28Kw - 2106.32 inc 2 year warranty
WORCESTER HE 28Kw - 2187.24 inc 2 year warranty
IDEAL HE 28Kw - 2065.33 inc 2 year warranty

Not sure if this includes VAT - I guess it doesnt.

Does this seem reasonable ???

Work to be done:-

""""- supply a washing machine / dishwasher"""

Whilst he has specified different boilers, has he specified the washing machine and dishwasher?

Sounds too cheap to be true!

Tony

Agile said:
Work to be done:-

""""- supply a washing machine / dishwasher"""

Whilst he has specified different boilers, has he specified the washing machine and dishwasher?

Sounds too cheap to be true!

Tony

Sorry - Reworded my original post - see above.

I quoted last week for the Worcester 28 HE, I believe it came in at around £2950, BG had quoted £3750.............. :LOL:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Isn't the Worseceter greenstar HE combi obsolete now? I thought it'd been made so by the CDi. Which is a much nicer boiler by the way.
I'm going to Alpha next week so I'll tell you what they are like then. The Baxi HE is that the gold or platinum? or just the HE? Used to love baxi but gone off them now. And as for the Ideal I wouldn't deal. :rolleyes:
So if I had a choice I'd go for the Worsecter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back