limescale ring on enamel bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has just moved into a house with an old fashioned pink enamel bath which has an unsightly white limescale ring around it to the depth of a normal bath.

She has tried cleaning it with an enamel friendly cream cleaner and diluted vinegar and whilst it looks good when still wet as soon as it dries the mark returns.

She is going to replace the suite eventually but for now any ideas on hoew to remove it, anyone please?

Sponsored Links
The surface may have been permanently marked.

Limescale removers like Viakal are more effective and less smelly than vinegar.

generally a liquid spray bathroom cleaner will keep a kitchen or bathroom clean; the cream cleaners have particles in them that will reduce the gloss especially of an enamelled iron bath - but if it is an old one it may already be roughened. Old ladies still use stuff like Ajax :evil: that grinds the dirt away and the surface with it.

the ring might also be dirt, soap and oil residue which a spray bathroom cleaner will remove and vinegar won't. A nylon scourer (the white ones are milder than the green) will help get stubborn dirt off.

If your friend is prosperous she may like to think about having a water softener installed (an ion-exchange one, not a magnet) which will solve all her limescale problems.

Thanks for the advice, will tell her to try a bathroom spray and see what happens but I think it's probably scarred for life.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
cillit bang?
Over-rated, over-advertised, overpriced. For limescale use own-branded limescale remover. For scum use cream cleaner, for mild stuff bathroom cleaner.

Limescale remover is pretty vicious stuff so wear some hand protection and don't get it in the eyes, or breathe too deeply.

Rgds.

that may be your opinion, but its better than the own brand version i had.

mind you over priced, yes

Tip for all, lob your Cillit Bang in the bin. Its lethal, I have seen it melt through plastic cills and remove colour from acrylic baths and laminate worktops.
Best thing i would advise for the enamel bath is a coarse polish followed by a fine polish, try car body shops.

must be a poor quality of palstic sill, since cillit bang comes in ..................a plastic bottle

NEVER USE VIAKAL OR CILLIT BANG ON ENAMEL FINISHES!! THIS CAN REMOVE THE SHINE. YOU WILL NEVER GET IT BACK!!!

Use Mr Muscle Bathroom Cleaner or Cif Bathroom Spray. ALWAYS CHECK THE LABEL BEFORE USING. Enamel may seem hard wearing but can be etched by certain harsh cleaners.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back