Dimmer switch prevents extractor fan timer from working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've installed a pull cord dimmer in the bathroom which controls the 3 looped low voltage light transformers. The problem is that although the extractor fan comes on when the lights are on, the timer fails to turn the fan off when the lights are off. The only way to stop the fan is to interrupt the permanent live going to it. The switched live is coming from the dimmer pull and being a dimmer still leaks current to the extractor even when the lights are off. I don't want to replace the dimmer with a standard pull switch. Is there anything out there that I can install between the dimmer and the switched live of the extractor that will prevent any input to the extractor if the output from the dimmer falls below a certain threshold? ie: Undervoltage Lockout or similar?

This is now starting to really peck my head!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could add a relay with a 240v coil. Connect the coil to the lights, connect the contact from a live source to feed the fan and that should work. If you can, get a relay with a large voltage range to take into account when the load i.e. the lights are dimmed.

Regards - JB

Rumour has it you can buy dimmer switches with an undimmed output for fan use...

Sponsored Links
Yes - I know the website says "The product is also suitable for use where Bathroom fans are installed.", but neither the wiring instructions there, nor the manufacturers website, gives any hint that this might be true...

Sorry you are right. I seem to remember having being told that the switch had an extra undimmed terminal for the fan, but this is not mentioned anywhere in the tech spec.

I know this is an old thread but it keeps cropping up on searches for dimmers with undimmed outputs.

If that's you, try searching for "switched live" instead of "undimmed". I found some useful pages that way.

It might have taken five years, but the company who makes the pullcord dimmer tells me it cannot be used with fans or for dimming wirewound trannys.

If you are going to use the MK dimmer, then this is a standard wall-mounted module that needs to be installed outside the zones (and preferably outside the bathroom). And remember it is not suitable for use with GU10's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back