power shower supply from light switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have installed a power shower which only requires a 3amp fused switch.
can i run this supply from the light switch to a fused switch box or do i need to take supply from a socket.
many thanks in anticipation of the children getting a hot shower rather than an electrocuted dad

gary :idea:

Sponsored Links
1) It really really really should be powered from a socket circuit via an FCU.

2) There is a very good chance that there will not be a neutral at your light switch anyway.

3) Are you aware of Part P of the Building Regulations, and what it says?

thanks for that, i did check and there is a neutral, it also feeds a fan in the bathroom,
however there is no point trying to make life easy for myself if its not allowed....
that being said can i therefore take a spur from a socket to a fused box and then from there to the shower??
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gary :confused:

gactorsinger said:
thanks for that, i did check and there is a neutral, it also feeds a fan in the bathroom,
Wonder why they didn't take the fan supply straight from the light. Is yours a fairly new house? Do all the switches have neutrals at them?

that being said can i therefore take a spur from a socket to a fused box and then from there to the shower??
Yes.

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/NL139supp.pdf

Sponsored Links
yes, sorry should have mentioned that, house is only year old, and paid a fortune and only got one power shower in en suite and not main bathroom, so thought i would attempt this bit myself, no problem with the plumbing but a bit put off with having to try and feed cable up through walls and the like.

assuming i can gain access to the attic easily enough, is that my best route for cable and should it be 2.5 twin and earth.
thanks gary :)

no circuit in attic.
was going to take spur from socket in wall, feed cable up to attic and then back down to switched fuse box or use a pull cord and feed it straight to that....?
why do i feel your going to tell me not to do that!! :confused: :confused:

No access under the floors?

No way to go straight through the wall from a socket to an FCU near to where the pump will be?

Don't go straight to a pull-switch BTW as you need an FCU, which if you can get it into the bathroom will avoid the need for a pull-switch.

With your suggested route the best thing wold be to put the FCU on the socket circuit, next to the socket in question, rather than spurring off it, and then go up to the loft etc with the load cable from the FCU.

Don't forget to observe the rules for cables concealed in walls:

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/C5-43.pdf

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/concealedcables.pdf

IEE article on concealed cables

many thanks for all your hard earned information. i am assuming by fcu you mean "fused circuit unit"...
i will indeed do as you say and have read all info you have supplied.
if i post a reply to say thanks you'll know i have survived ok..
regards Gary :LOL:

Fused Connection Unit, aka Fused Spur

MKK1040.JPG

If possible, connect it directly to a socket circuit like this:

fusespurwiringdiagram13ji.gif

rather than branched off from a junction box or socket like this:

fusespurwiringdiagram23yj.gif

ban-all-sheds said:
3) Are you aware of Part P of the Building Regulations, and what it says?

Good point, but last time I looked Fife was in Scotland - and Part P doesn't apply there ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back