Blocked drain.......I think?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Am after some advice. I live in a 2nd floor flat and the lady below me has said the sewage is blocked (there are just 2 flats to the property). I think she said that when she flushes the toilet, the waste does flush properly but I can't be certain cos her English isn't very good.

Have had a guy Dynarod come over and lift the manhole cover (is that what its called?) at the front of the property and he agreed it was blocked. He said he unblocked it but would need to get into the property to take a look at the drain in the back to see what was causing the blockage.

I don't know anything about drains and sewage and stuff but just wanted to make sure that I was being spun a line. Logically, in my mind, if there is a blockage under the property, as he suggested, then surely the drain at the front of the property wouldn't have any sewage in it at all? And the fact that there is surely suggests that its not blocked under the property, but maybe the blockage is further along, maybe where it joins under the road?

Appreciate any advice.
Penster

Sponsored Links
You need to check all the drains from the property, when you locate a dry one, work your way back, remember the drain furthest away from your property is heading toward the main drain. (hope that makes sense)
Depending on where the blockage is, you may be able to clear it using drain rods but you may need quite a few to clear it.
If you can get access to the flat below, with the ladies permission, you can see for yourself if there is a problem, if rods do not work then unfortunately you will have to get the professionals in who may have to jet them clear.

If they do the latter, remember you will only have to pay 50% of the bill with your neighbour as you both share the drainage, but get the money upfront first.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the reply semi. What you've said all makes sense but it does contradict what the other guy said. If the pipes are blocked then surely the drain between the property and the road should be dry and not filling up with sewage? Doesn't this suggest that there isn't a blockage or am I missing something?

Thanks for the advice on rods and stuff too, but I'm a girl and would rather not get my hands dirty! Do you know how much it should cost to pay someone to do this for me?

At least £100 probably 2 in the smoke :cry: Was the guy actually Dyno-Rod or were you using that name as a generic term?....like hoover ;) Cuz with Dyno, or Metro.....you`ve got some comeback...Otherwise it could be a chancer with a carpet cleaner in the back of the van :eek: Remember that one on Rogue Traders :LOL:

Sponsored Links
semi-acoustic said:
You need to check all the drains from the property, when you locate a dry one, work your way back, remember the drain furthest away from your property is heading toward the main drain. (hope that makes sense)

Semi, I've been thinking about this and I don't think I do understand! I assume the 'main drain' is the one at the front of the property, where the pipe goes from the property to the street. This is the drain that is filling up with sewage. If there was a block somewhere then shouldn't this drain be dry as you suggest?

The lady said that pipe coming out of the property is slightly lower than the pipe in the road which may be causing the sewage to build up as it cannot go uphill. She said it was only about 1cm lower but that that could be enough to cause a problem. Does this sound feasible? Could the pipe being 1cm lower cause the sewage to not flow properly? And is it major work to fix?

ta guys

Which lady says a drain is 1 cm higher? Is this a lady drain expert?

Dynorod are trained to be very professional. They would always try to check the whole system.

However, you seem to have made some reference to not allowing access to the rear of the property ???

Surely the original complainant should be able to say if the problem has been cured by the Dynorod visit?

Lots of questions!

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
Which lady says a drain is 1 cm higher? Is this a lady drain expert?

Sorry, by lady I meant the lady downstairs. She is not an expert but she said she got someone (have no idea who!) to unblock the drain who told her about this 1cm thing. Not sure how much I trust this or what they've done as there was no receipt, or even phone number.

Agile said:
Dynorod are trained to be very professional. They would always try to check the whole system.
They haven't come yet. The lady is away and I'm in contact with her niece to try and get some spare keys from the neighbours.

Agile said:
Lots of questions!
I know! And you can't answer questions with questions :) So your turn to answer some of mine!

It would normally not be possible to measure invert levels to within 1 cm between the front and rear of a building.

You previously said:-

"""Have had a guy Dynarod come over and lift the manhole cover (is that what its called?) at the front of the property and he agreed it was blocked. He said he unblocked it but would need to get into the property to take a look at the drain in the back to see what was causing the blockage."""

You now say that the person from Dynorod has NOT come yet !

So have they come or have they not come. If not then why did you say that they did come?

Tony

Agile said:
It would normally not be possible to measure invert levels to within 1 cm between the front and rear of a building.

Sorry, what does that mean? :oops:

ok, apologies for any confusion. Dynorod came initially, unblocked the drain at the front of the property and said they would need to get into the property so they could take a look at the drain at the back to determine what was causing the problem. I am trying to get Dynorod to come back and do this but first need to get hold of some keys to the property. Hence, why I said they haven't come back yet.

The reason I'm asking all these questions about the rising sewage level at the front main drain, is because I want to determine if its necessary for Dynorod to come back and take a look at the drain to the back of the property, charge me £100, and be no better off.

So, is it possible that there is a blockage in the pipes under the house (or anywhere else for that matter) and the front main drain not be dry?

I suppose that anything is possible but if the lady who does not speak English says that its OK then why not assume that it is?

You could look into inspection chambers yourself but if you are a girlie who does not want to get her hands dirty then you will either have to get a practically minded boyfriend or call the experts back again IF there seems to be anything still causing any problem.

Whenever you call a drain cleaning firm always ensure that full access to all areas is available to enable them to check everything on the same visit.

Despite the apparent assumption these firms are NOT mostly cowboys but just honest people doing a rather dirty job.

Tony

Well the Dynorod bloke came. Looked into the main drain and there was a small build up of sewage in there. Looked at the drain out the back and said it was fine. I explained the situation to him and he doesn't understand how the lady downstairs would've known there was a blockage unless she had a look in the front main drain. He reckons the small build up at the front wouldn't have affected her at all.

I asked for his opinion on the 1cm thing and you could just tell from the look on his face that he must've been thinking something along the lines of "Women! Don't even bother. Just stay in the kitchen". He said it was like a U-bend for smells and stuff. Yeah right! Like I know what U-bends are for???!!!!

He cleared the small blockage with a rod and said it was easy enough to do so didn't think there was a major problem. But, he can't understand why it keeps blocking. He said to see how I get on, and if the problem continues then to get some cameras down there :cry:

Penster said:
Well the Dynorod bloke came. Looked into the main drain and there was a small build up of sewage in there. Looked at the drain out the back and said it was fine. I explained the situation to him and he doesn't understand how the lady downstairs would've known there was a blockage unless she had a look in the front main drain. He reckons the small build up at the front wouldn't have affected her at all.

I asked for his opinion on the 1cm thing and you could just tell from the look on his face that he must've been thinking something along the lines of "Women! Don't even bother. Just stay in the kitchen". He said it was like a U-bend for smells and stuff. Yeah right! Like I know what U-bends are for???!!!!

He cleared the small blockage with a rod and said it was easy enough to do so didn't think there was a major problem. But, he can't understand why it keeps blocking. He said to see how I get on, and if the problem continues then to get some cameras down there :cry:
The U bend thing @ the front of the property is ....an interceptor....that`s what is getting blocked.....because they tend to :rolleyes: We, ve got them here in the stix..........just before the cesspool/septic tank..........I was only guessing @ the cost£ for a "drain clearer" in the smoke as it`s somewhere I never go :LOL: We`ve got cowboys here too and the actual guy on RT prog. with the "camera" lives in a town not far from me :LOL: and in another town is an excellent drainage guy who I used for many years @a large hotel that I maintained.....the Interceptor is an old idea to insulate the main sewer in the road from your domestic pipes ...Maybe your house is pre 1940 :?:If it keeps blocking ,before you get cameras and £££ out get an old country bumkin to come for a day out and look ........are you near Mme. Tussauds?....I want to set fire to Thatcher`s efigy :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back