anyway to get a traineeship in plumbing in london?

Sponsored Links
I had a pay rise about 6months ago. Recently advised by junior partner(boss's bro in law) that there is no point asking for any more as it is quite quiet at the moment blah blah bullshit... I will speak tommorrow and demand min wage but i dont want to jeopardise my placement.

Anyone live in South East Wales who wants to give a mature apprentice with unvented\energy eff\water regs\Tech Cert2\NVQ2\basic domestic electrics competant\computer literate\clean drivers license\polite\trustworthy..etc a life line?

oh and min wage+?

Sponsored Links
bster said:
I will speak tommorrow and demand min wage

My advice would be to be very wary of causing any confrontation IF the work you are doing is giving you useful experience over a wide range of topics and you are getting good training on the job by experienced people within the firm.

You have not explained your own situation, do you have a wife who is a solicitor with a good income or are you struggling to support a non working wife and baby and pay the mortgage or do you live with family and have very low outgoings?

All of these are relevant but the crucial aspect at the moment is to get the best training on the job.

Tony Glazier

Absolutely right..........use the guys on the tools to learn as much as possible...forget the bosses...not one since I started in 1970 has been any good ....and @ one time a neighbour who was the biggest tosser on God`s earth........just happened to be running a Htg. firm :rolleyes: This attitude is as Dino. as my skills are in todays work .Get yourself as much formal training and academic learning as you can.......and an old time served fart like me to give you some old school tips ocasionally :LOL:

Managing ok with the money (i have no mortgage or kids) missis works but money is tight.
The boys in work are great to learn from and are very neat and tidy and technically good -so there are no bad habits to pick up - I've been told (this morning) by the local plumbing merchants that they are the only firm they recommend to customers as they know there will be no come backs (at the merchants) as the plumbing is second to none.

I know i'm lucky to be learning with this firm and thank them for taking me on but i am obviously getting abit depressed about the money side.

Thank god for all the evening and weekend work i get!!

Ah! the evergreen P-J........ :LOL: Used to do mine @ the hourly rate of 4 pints (of best Sussex bitter)ie £1.00 per hour.......now the Plumbski`s are doing the same pro-rata....allegedly ;) Funny thing was a house cost £4500 then and now its £150000 :eek: maybe we was better off then

Do sympathise with Bster. There are far too many apprentices out there (some say there will be 20,000 too many in the plumbing game by end 2006). We have had to send two apprentices on their way because they had poor practical skills, there are too many applying for roles who will never make the grade on the tools. Don't count you in that, Bster! Your posts sound very keen.

The good ones will survive and prosper, like most businesses it is the survival of the fittest. Some would argue that it has been relatively easy until a few years ago when the press vastly overdid a story on how much plumbers earn. This caused the general public to suspect everyone of ripping them off, and everyone else's mum told them to enrol as a plumber.

Oilman is absolutely right (unusually), we are looking for an additional experienced installer/service eng to join our team. Ideally this person will be Corgi and OFTEC 103 qualified. If he/she is up to the standard of the others they might also have unvented and LPG. Ideally will be willing to train on commercial gas. Location Sth London, Surrey and parts of Kent and Sussex.

My advice to Peter R would be to be absolutely sure that he has a great aptitude and stamina for mechanical work before jumping ship. It is very hard in this game, make no mistake.

JIB rates.
1st year £2.84
2nd year £4.25
3rd year £5.14
4th year £6.64
Approved £9.80
Advanced £11.16

doitall -

When do JIB rates apply? is it for site work only etc, i have looked on the web but couldnt come up with a difinitive answer.

doitall said:
JIB rates.
1st year £2.84
2nd year £4.25
3rd year £5.14
4th year £6.64
Approved £9.80
Advanced £11.16
Recon I`m hypothetically worth £9.80 then :LOL: also recon that corresponds to my 4 pint benchmark from days of yore..........bugger me I WAS better off then :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back