Why has my light fitting got 3 lots of wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I went to fit a new light to the ceiling to replace an old one. I found that instead of 1 wire containing the E,L & Neutral wires - there were 3? Each Live wire was twisted together and put into the Live part of the light fitting, and the same for the other 2?

I found this same configuration in the Kitchen when I took that light down?

I took these apart, screwed the 2 sets of "Spares" in to some electricians block and tucked it up into the ceiling. I conected the remaining set.

I thought this was all OK - but when I switched Electricity back on - lights do no work at all?

Can anyone explain what I should do? Mostly confused? Why were there 3 lots of wires? Was it just unlucky that I picked the duff set?

Cheers guys,

Andy.

Sponsored Links
most lights have 3 cables, supply in, supply out and switch cable.

try a search on adding a light on these forums

When you said 3 sets of wires, I imagined that you must be using a "loop in" lighting system. BUT you say that the 3 reds, 3 blacks and 3 earths are twisted together to basically form one connection each, and each of these was connected to the original light? I cannot imagine what this could be, (taking into consideration that the same set-up is present in the kitchen) However, I would leave the set-up the same for the new light (i.e. connect all three wires to the new light) like the old light was connected. How many light units does the switch that controls each of these lights power?

BR, there have been similar replies before, turns out people THINK all the wires are together when in fact they are not, they just never think to mark / note what each cable does.

Also if you read what the poster's origonal message said but when I switched Electricity back on - lights do no work at all?

so your suggestion won't work either, but it looks like your first assumption (loop in) is correct

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that - yes you might be right. I took it all apart and remember some were twisted together so assumed all were.

I'll search for other posts then and see how I get on.

I guess the problem for me is that the 3 sets of wires look identical and so I won't know which is IN,OUT or SWITCH.

Andy.

don't suppose you have any of the following?

multi meter

conntinuity tester

volt stick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back