Is it legal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To fit your own boiler? Mines pretty old and has issue. Im a competent mechanic and recon i could fit a boiler no problem. But is it legal. Do i need to be qualified by law?

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's gas, we get asked this question every week. There are answers, opinions, arguments all over the web.
You don't have to be corgi registered, but it's specified in law that to work on gas you DO have to be competent. That competence isn't defined.
If you do anything "wrong" though, you've broken the law:
(3) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel otherwise than in accordance with appropriate standards ...

Fat chance of getting it "In accordance" unless you know what the "appropriate standards" are.

You also need a corgi to Notify the installation as being done by him, to Corgi and the Building Regs people, so get one on board early and decide who does what.

ChrisR said:
Assuming it's gas, we get asked this question every week.
...and your answer on this post is so blindingly specific and accurate that it now belongs in the sticky topic hall of fame!

Sponsored Links
Hm. Whilst there's an lot of interesting and relevant information in the Water Systems post, which is one I respect BTW, yours had the advantage of being both concise and 100% correct.

The problem with the concepts of competence and working otherwise than in accordance with appropriate standards, is that the prosecuting authority (HSE?) would have to prove incompetence and/or non-accordance with appropriate standards.

It is difficult to see how such a prosecution could be successful unless the work carried out had defects sufficient to indicate incompetence or non-accordance with standards. Competence only has to relate to the work carried out, so someone connecting a hob need know nothing about gas fitting beyond what is involved in that particular job.

The practical up-shot is that if the work carried out is basically sound there is little chance of a prosecution being brought, even less of a conviction being obtained, even if the person carrying out the work would be judged incompetent if subjected to an ACS type assessment. And if a conviction cannot be obtained it can hardly be said to be illegal.

I agree completely. What a marvellous post - wish I'd written it. :)

if a conviction cannot be obtained it can hardly be said to be illegal.
I don't see that that's logical. It's illegal to drive too fast even if you know there's nobody watching, etc.

But a conviction can be obtained, and often is, for breaking a speed limit, but does anyone know of any instance of someone being convicted under GS(I&U)Regs for not being competent?

ChrisR said:
It's illegal to drive too fast even if you know there's nobody watching, etc.
Ah, but if nobody is watching then can you be sure that you're speeding? Or even driving/riding? ;)

If the Installation has serious flaws, surely that is tantamount to the incompetence of the Installer, registered or not........?

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

ChrisR wrote:
It's illegal to drive too fast even if you know there's nobody watching, etc.

Ah, but if nobody is watching then can you be sure that you're speeding? Or even driving/riding?

Yes I have a speedometer. I don't believe the laws of the land take account of the Uncertainies of Heisenberg.
----

While it's true that prosecutions usually follow accidents, if you read GSIUR the requirements on competence and on what is actually done (ie "work in relation to gas fittings") are exactly the same whether one is corgi regd or not. It doesn't say "unless you're diy".

The only "higher standard" required of employed persons is that they have to take steps to ensure/maintain/manage their competence. In GSUIR it says "follow appropriate standards".

btw In the Corgi blue book it say that IF we (corgis, we have to assume) don't follow standards then we have to adopt a no-less-safe procedure etc. But WE are in a better position to judge that, than joe public.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back