installing a garage door - structural requirements / carport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a carport, using 4 x 4 posts bolted to concrete, joined to each other with 2 x 4 joists.

I was considering putting a canopy garage door onto it, but am not sure if it will support the weight and forces of the door. GRP is the lightest door I believe.

I have seen wooden garage doors that have canopies, but don't know what sort of structure they have inside to support the weights.

I was thinking of fitting the door directly to the posts ( it would be a post one side, and the brick wall of my house the other side), or getting a steel framework and fitting that to the post and brickwork.

Can anyone help or advise?

Sponsored Links
As long as the jambs (side posts and not the the top bar) on both side is secure you shouldn't have any problem as the top bar section doesn't do anything apart from the lever latch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back