one coat exterior gloss

Zampa said:
There is another factor here though...customers like to see undercoat going on..same as they like to see preparation....its all part of it.

Anyone remember half n half?... :evil:

Funny thing that Zampa, I thought that and in a good 15 years of using it, the subject of undercoat hasn't been mentioned.

Sponsored Links
I think this Topic is going to be longest ever :LOL: . I agree with both of your points "growler" & "Zampa". I also understand that if a painters mind stays with the mentality of his/her time then they will never grow with change in terms of capability of products etc. I personally have used many one coat gloss due to price but the best one in my opinion is Dulux One Coat Gloss for interior work, but unfortunatly it tends to yellow quicker than the normal und & gloss procedure fore some reason ! Also, Leyland One Coat Gloss is terrible as it leaves terrible lines due to not spreading out & it requires two coats (even over old Brilliant White when using new Brilliant White)

I was slow to catch on to a "Brushmate Trade 20" - that's the best invention since Crown Solo gloss :)

Still use my Beeline wallpaper paster - bought in 1981 for £160 .

Sponsored Links
Growler said:
confidintcompetent: How do you know that the paint you're painting over was One Coat Gloss? unless you applied it yourself. It does not come off in sheets, this is a myth. As for thinning ordinary gloss to paint rads/ gutters etc....never would I thin gloss.
Of corse I dont know but guess by the gobby brushmarks and thickness of the peeling paint film that one coats been used. Anyhow if the surface is sound and no filling etc needed I can see the point of one coat and have always used normal gloss after prep, this does'nt peel either. however Most jobs where filling, bare spots and just plain crappy surfaces exist then undercoat and gloss is my way. my point is that I would'nt go out and buy a tin of 'one coat' where I know I can use normal gloss and achieve the same result as your 1coat. ;) Regarding not thining gloss!well I can show you many jobs where brown gutters had faded and I put one coat of thinned gloss (dulux conker) and they still look glossy several yrs on. How do you get the paint to flow out without thinning? Garage doors **** how many? lost count :LOL:

confidentincompetent said:
Growler said:
confidintcompetent: How do you know that the paint you're painting over was One Coat Gloss? unless you applied it yourself. It does not come off in sheets, this is a myth. As for thinning ordinary gloss to paint rads/ gutters etc....never would I thin gloss.
Of corse I dont know but guess by the gobby brushmarks and thickness of the peeling paint film that one coats been used. How do you get the paint to flow out without thinning? Garage doors s**t how many? lost count :LOL:

So.............It was just a guess.

I come across peeling paint as well y'know. The usual cause is ordinary gloss on gloss - no adhesion.

No undercoat required with Solo.....It says so on the tin. :)

Flaking paint happens to everyone especialy outdoors. This is due to the flexing of paint with heat from sun turning into a colder evening etc. The worst is dark colours used outdoors.

It does not come off in sheets, this is a myth

Its happened to me..and I think you can tell if the top coat is the one coat stuff...it doesnt have the full sheen of a conventional gloss and its thicker...therefore it tends to come of in slithers.

Remember most people...your average joe/joesephine public wouldnt do the same amount of prepping as us pros.

One thing certainly is a myth...the original advert for solo...two blokes in a cradle painting a black wall with white one coat gloss using four inch brushes...try it!

Zampa said:

Its happened to me..and I think you can tell if the top coat is the one coat stuff...it doesnt have the full sheen of a conventional gloss and its thicker...therefore it tends to come of in slithers.

Nope sorry untrue:
I defy anyone to tell the difference after 2 weeks. It does not come off in slithers.
If you live in Lancashire, I challenge you to tell me which is and which isn't "Solo" that I or my friend have applied...and we have 86 years experience between us ;)

:LOL: You'll be telling me you can tell the difference between bottled water and tap water next.......another one i've won money on :LOL:

Not unless you gave in the test, one glass in tap water & the other in that coca-cola so-called "bottled water" that was from tap also :LOL:

Growler said:
Zampa said:

Nope sorry untrue:
I defy anyone to tell the difference after 2 weeks. It does not come off in slithers.
If you live in Lancashire, I challenge you to tell me which is and which isn't "Solo" that I or my friend have applied...and we have 86 years experience between us ;)

:LOL: You'll be telling me you can tell the difference between bottled water and tap water next.......another one i've won money on :LOL:

Yes it does..if the background hasnt been been throughly flattened down... and I find it scratches too.

I cant tell the difference between rubbing down one coat stuff and the conventional gloss thats been done over old gloss without prepping.

Theres on question that hasnt been asked yet...if its so good...why doesnt the trade use it all the time? and give up using undercoat?.. the paint compainies only sell it in small tins..an indication of their lack of confidence in it maybe?

Zampa -Yes it does..if the background hasnt been been throughly flattened down... and I find it scratches too.

I cant tell the difference between rubbing down one coat stuff and the conventional gloss thats been done over old gloss without prepping.

Theres on question that hasnt been asked yet...if its so good...why doesnt the trade use it all the time? and give up using undercoat?.. the paint compainies only sell it in small tins..an indication of their lack of confidence in it maybe?

No it does not come off in sheets / strings /ribbons or anything else. I'm currently sat next to a radiator that I've painted 3 times with "Solo Gloss" - You couldn't scrape it off if you tried and I've never rubbed it down :!:

The reason the vast majority of the trade don't use it is because of the constant myths that are perpertrated about it. You see it on here - If someone sees paint shelling off........then it must be One Coat Gloss :LOL: They don't even use it or know how to use it
Some of these people are probably eligible for Jury service. :eek:
5 years ago my local trade dec shop wouldn't sell it......used to laugh at me.......they sell it now, stocked up with it they are.

This thread must be very addictive, hehe. Growler, i personally have tried One Coat Gloss in dulux, crown, leyland, B&Q own brand, sandtex & many more. Some are good though some are poor & espacialy the worst of the lot is leyland (however, some products are good from leyland but not One Coat Gloss). I find the best is dulux but i would only use it on allready painted white wood when using One Coat PBW. However, where i find a problem with One Coat is when used on completly flat doors that are prone to high traffic. The problem is only apparant after about 5 years as it starts to flake at high traffic areas, even though its been corrctly prepared by washing down then slighly rubbed with wet & dry sandpaper. Also, it is more prone to turn yellow in a few weeks if no daylight is getting to it (i have personally experienced this and it was embarrasing). Though i have used One Coat Gloss on many other areas and it is still perfect but in other areas it turns out to be a disaster when it goes wrong. One Coat Emulsion is sort of the same cos it looks great at first but now all i see in homes is the One Coat Emulsion cracking around radiators (but this takes about 3 years to happen). Also, One Coat Emulsion is starting to blister or fall off when overcoating it. Anyway must go now but keep up the healthy debate :LOL:

Third_Eye said:
However, where i find a problem with One Coat is when used on completly flat doors that are prone to high traffic. The problem is only apparant after about 5 years as it starts to flake at high traffic areas, even though its been corrctly prepared by washing down then slighly rubbed with wet & dry sandpaper.

:rolleyes: 5 years :rolleyes:

Progress....only small, but......progress.

Take my front window, last painted with "Solo" in 97, never been done since (except for the sill,) no flaking / coming off in strips or anything. It's still a Brill white (accepted that it's in full light) and I find it's no different to ordinary gloss.
Someone mentioned before that they'd used it on skirtings and it had yellowed,whereas the rest of the room was alright with ordinary stuff.
Well skirts get less light than anything so...no surprise there.

6 years ago I did the outside of a bungalow with huge under-eaves. I ploughed it on (left it/ didn't play with it) and it still looks superb, they love it, smooth as a billiard ball and no yellowing or

flaking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back