one coat exterior gloss

Sponsored Links
Why guess what half has which ! Why apply two differnt types of gloss on one garage door ? Why ask me about yellowing when yellowing does not happen outdoors ? Why write "sheeting off" slanting to write ? Why should i feel lucky about guessing what is what, when i did not apply the stuff ? Why is it you feel such passion with One Coat and get annoyed if anyone dissagree's with your passion ? Please just accept that i used to use One Coat gloss but now i dont. Also, i have explained to people about my concerns of One Coat technoligy and there longterm effects. Especialy with One Coat Emulsions & Gloss. Take care anyhow :LOL:

Yeah I though that white paint yellowing was to do with the oil in the paint affecting the colour. Apparently, it's worse indoors and in the dark. I'm led to believe that you can re-whiten yellowed white gloss by taking the item outside (it helps if this is a door... not much use if it's a door case) and sunning it somewhat.

Awww you miss me 3rd I? I'm touched. I've been about - mainly on floor tiling, but I have been a bit busy what with all this hot weather and beer to drink. ;)

Only interested in the truth.

Here Third_Eye: You said this: Also, when using One Coat gloss and if it does not cover then you are forced to give two coats, which results in two shiny paints being applied on top of each other (not great adhesion) & it results in two flexible coats being applied over each other which results in being easy to chip (not suitable for front or back doors due to high traffic) & generaly One Coat Exterior Gloss is more prone to lose adhesion.

Now on that garage door, one half has been painted with 2 coats of Crown Solo Gloss over black gloss, with no problems whatsoever.

Sponsored Links
That is because the garage door is shaped and textured. In other words the One Coat Gloss has keyed to the actual shape and texture of the garage door. However, if the garage door was completely flat, then One Coat would be in trouble. Anyway dont you sleep or have got an active nightlife, being up at 6am ?

Third_Eye said:
That is because the garage door is shaped and textured. In other words the One Coat Gloss has keyed to the actual shape and texture of the garage door. However, if the garage door was completely flat, then One Coat would be in trouble. Anyway dont you sleep or have got an active nightlife, being up at 6am ?

It's all in your mind. You create problems where none exist.

onion_soup said:
sorry to take so long to reply what were the recommendations?

TIA

View the truthful photo's I posted, of work which I painted myself and view the other photo's then....................

make your decision.

Third_Eye said:
I would not recomend any non-drip gloss as its very easy to scratch once dried. I would recomend you use Dulux Trade Weathershield Exterior Undercoat & Gloss. To be honest (i am not being negative) i would not recomend Varnishing any external wood. The reason is it tends to start going white after being weathered (though it is oky to Varnish on non-sun hit areas). I usually use low build woodstain on new external wood. However, if your wood has little damage then the "best" Varnish to use is Cuprinol Yacht Varnish & click on link for further info http://www.britpaints.co.uk/Acrobat...Sheets/ICI Wood Stuff/CuprYVCT608.pdf[/QUOTE] There is your answer above,"onion_soup"

5 pages and 1300+ views !!!!!

need to choose a simple question next time!! ;)

thankyou

Actually..To answer your original question : 1.Which is the best/long lasting non drip gloss one coat for painted exterior wood work ?

2.Which is best coloured exterior varnish (again one coat) on already varnished wood ?

both should be low odour and possibly quick drying.

Neither of these products exist.

However, just gloss varnished my front door with Wickes exterior microporous gloss varnish, and everyone comments on it now,whereas before when it was done in Sikkens...nobody saw it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back