Hot water tap won't rotate (PHOTOS INCLUDED!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Blimey, this is driving me nuts!

Basically, in the last few days the hot tap for the mixer on the bath has gone stiff, so now it siezes after about 1 rotation - so theres simply not enough hot water coming out to have a shower. I would presume a dodgy washer, or simply a good clean/descale of the components is required, however I can't figure out how to undo the tap!

I get as far as you can see in the phots, but I can't work out how to remove the rotating top assembly (with the cross shaped bars) to get at the brass nut underneath.

Something simple? Hopefully. I need to get this fixed because I'm starting to smell!
Thanks in advance

damntap25ci.jpg

damntap16bw.jpg

Sponsored Links
Do you want the posh answer or the plumber's one?
And are you a mean git?

Lots of solutions:
Pour boiling water on the head - everything expands and the goo softens.
Put the screw back in loose, put a lever under the head and pull up while tapping down on the screw.

Use a posh adjustable "puller" - under a tenner, and I wouldn't be wthout one

Or - you might as well get a pair of tap revivers, they're cheap £12 or so , from a merchant or even a "shed".
10495.gif
(eg These are a fiver)

Then put a gert big pair of grips on the tap top. And undo. The tap top might break, but so what, you've got a replacement.

Once you've got the head off you'll find that water has got in behind the barrel which supports the washer, past the oring where the spindle thread is. If you empty the water out of the barrel then put graphite paste on it it should be ok for further use.

Thanks chaps - I'll try boiling water first then, see what happens. Other than that, I might simply rip out the old taps and buy some new ones.

If I could get the side of the bath off that is :mad:

Sponsored Links
No joy here. Still can't work out how to get at the main nut. I'll get a plumber in then!

Seriously, why make taps that you can't take apart? All the other taps in the entire house come apart like a dream, allowing total access the entire valve. But not the bath taps.

Sods law eh? Thanks for the help though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back