Painting after Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We had our bedroom plastered about 2 months ago, and now we have just started to paint the wall. The walls are fully dried and pinky.
The problem we are facing is, after we put on the fist under coat with a normal white paint, we than noticed dark patches on the wall everywhere.

So we thought OK, let’s put a another coat but this time with a thicker paint but still no joy.

Appreciate if someone can help us here.

Kind Regards

Sponsored Links
Since almost everybody has to use paint, we have been battered by adverts telling us one coat is all you need. I found that doing things the older ways gave better results. First a thin coat or two to key onto the surface then four or more coats until it looks ok.

I know, nobody puts on this number of coats. When you see the difference it makes, you'll see how to get a good finish.

Same things work with varnish, 4 coats and you wonder why you bothered, when you get to 8, you are glad you did.

Just don't believe 1 coat will work, unless you mix a filler in and put it on with a trowel.

As a serious alternative what about limewash?

Its always a good idea to apply a couple of mist coats onto new plaster. This is the same emulsion that you will be using, only water it down first.

oilman said:
Same things work with varnish, 4 coats and you wonder why you bothered, when you get to 8, you are glad you did.
Agree totally, 3 coats diluted varnish to key in, 4 or 5 neat varnish, fine wire wooling between each one (bloody dust), T-cut final coat, cupboard I renovated 15yrs ago still looks like it has a piece of glass on top of it (or am I thinking of me local bar ??)

Sponsored Links
The first coat on new plaster should be an alkali resisting primer. Every paint manufacturer makes one, and every paint manufacturers recommends it is used on all new plaster. However such primers are not cheap compared to a mist coat of emulsion so often it is not used.

However, I appreacite that is a bit too late to help you now.

Just wanted to let everyone know that, someone suggested to me to try putting on PVA and then put 2 coat. It worked amazingly result 98%, we may have to put another final coat to achieve 100%.

Miah

welll i was going to say why not just knock the plaster off the wall move to a house which is already painted and then theres your problem solved

antinator said:
welll i was going to say why not just knock the plaster off the wall move to a house which is already painted and then theres your problem solved

I don’t understand what are talking about! :p

move to a house where a decorator used to live then you'lll have your house fully decorated

I generally find the cause of such "dark patches" to be PVA droplets / splashes. Sanding them off is our solution.

move to a house where a decorator used to live then you'lll have your house fully decorated

Are decorator's partners good at DIY then? Few of the tradesmen I know do a right lot of 'work' at home, although they all seem to do evening and weekend work for friends.

welll if you scrape away the pva on the wall the cover it with a skim of plaster again but mix the plaster with the pva mix not just water

PVA, yes I know it works, but it's a cr*p method in my view. There's no end of problems with condensation because water vapour can't escape, and putting a sealer like PVA on does nothing to help. Vinyl emulsion and wallpaper are poor too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back