Have I f****ed up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok Ive installed a new bathroom suite, moved the bath and sink etc, my problem is the pressure. When I removed the old suite I isolated the water using the stop cock in the airing cupbard, however when I wound it in as far as it would go there was still a small amount of water coming out of the pipe, so I took a pair of grips to the stop cock and wound it in a little more - I stopped the water but could I have the damaged stop cock? I fitted an iso-valve under the stop cock for future use. :)

When everyting was installed I opened up the stop cock (with grips, it was really stiff) and Iso-valve but the pressure out the taps was poor (we have the lift up style mixer taps) didnt have a pressure problem with the old suite.

Anyway I installed a pump to increase the pressure which worked but without the pump the toilet takes a few minutes to fill up, with the pump it only takes 15 - 20 seconds. The stop cock doesn't wind in or out easily and I just thought maybe the stop cock is wound in a little restircting the water flow?

Thanks in advanced

Sponsored Links
Yep it sounds like you have knackered the stop tap , take it out and replace it :rolleyes:

Is there anything I could fit in place of the tap? I have the Iso-valve now so its not required or is it easier to just replace it?

got to drain the tank in the loft again :evil:

Sponsored Links
If its cistern fed then you should not have a stopcock as they are designed for mains pressure usage.

Better to use a gate valve.

Tony

Like the water saving idea Bylough, especially as we have the drout

Hmm a little stuck now, firstly I apologise I was calling the gate valve a stop cock. I just removed the Gate Valve and although its buggered its fully open why is my pressure so poor?

This it how its plumbed in, the 22mm hot and cold come into the bathroom and I've T'd off in 15mm for the sink, bath, shower and toilet.

I must have done something wrong cos you don't normally need a pump to fill up a toilet :oops:

What Can I do? Could it be air in the pipes, if so how do I get it out?

Should I have run the feed to the WC in 22mm then drop down to 15mm just before the WC inlet pipe? I can handle the pump on with taps bath and shower but not for the WC, with our old suite we didn't have any pumps and the pressure was fine.

I think my problem could be the float, when its inplace a tiny amount of water passes through but when removed more water can pass through.

I've posted some pic's here to see if anyone is familiar with these particular float swtch.

http://www.football-live.biz[/url]

You`ve been buying cheap sanitaryware again :LOL: You may have had a stop cock fitted in place of gatevalve.......I`ve seen them on cold downservices ........stop cock has a crutch head Gte.Vlve. has round Red wheelhead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back