Blocked waste pipe from kitchen sink.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spent a couple of hours today trying to remove a blockage which seems to have accumulated in a friends waste pipe from the kitchen sink. I began by removing the trap and then using a plumbers snake, getting it down the pipe about a couple of metres or more. Thinking I had partially shifted the obstruction I poured three or four litres of caustic soda down the pipe in the expectation that this would dissolve the supposedly dislodged gunk and drain away.

Unfortunately the blockage seems more stubborn now than previously, preventing virtually any water from draining away at all. We are going to leave it to hopefully drain away over night. I would try connecting a hose to the tap and running this directly down the pipe but this very piece of waste pipe is connected to the stand pipe of the dishwasher so if the blockage is still present any running water will simply discharge out of the top of the standpipe. Any suggestions as to what we can pursue should the blockage still persist? I have some Thaumafix Liquid Drain Rod but this is a very strong. Is it likely to have a dangerous reaction with the caustic soda already in the pipe? Any help much appreciated. ;)

Sponsored Links
did you pour the caustic soda down neat or with water?

if with water was it hot or cold?

if its cold you may have to repalce the pipes, cold caustic soda crystals set like concrete, you are supposed to use hot water, and stand back, pouring it down with no water followed by hot doesnt work very well.

breezer said:
did you pour the caustic soda down neat or with water?

if with water was it hot or cold?

if its cold you may have to repalce the pipes, cold caustic soda crystals set like concrete, you are supposed to use hot water, and stand back, pouring it down with no water followed by hot doesnt work very well.

The water was cold as required on the instructions (Kleen Off is the brand). These were crystals so you have to add water, you couldn't pour them neat.

Sponsored Links
oh, reason i know is........... yes i did it once set like like concrete :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back