External Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to install a double external socket in my garden to power a pond pump and some low voltage lighting. I have some 2.5mm armored cable and I'd like to run the cable to a fused control panel in my kitchen which has switches for kitchen appliances such as dishwasher, cooker hood and one of which is spare. This would enable me to isolate the power to the external socket using the switch. Can anyone see a problem with this? House is new build with RCD consumer unit

Sponsored Links
According to New Building Regulations (Part P)you are no longer able to carry out work on your own installation, esp since you are planning on adding on to your installation outside of the equalpotential zone of your property.

if you feel you want to carry on and do the work you self you would be required to inform you local building regs control dept and ask them to have the work assessed and certified, this is costly as it ranges from £150 to £200 per visit and if you havnt got it perfect the first time then you need to start paying for return visits.

failing to obtain building regs approval will result in you having extreme difficulty in selling your home in the future

hope this helps

*sigh*
Electrician4U said:
According to New Building Regulations (Part P)you are no longer able to carry out work on your own installation, esp since you are planning on adding on to your installation outside of the equalpotential zone of your property.

They are not particulaly new anymore and thats not true

if you feel you want to carry on and do the work you self you would be required to inform you local building regs control dept and ask them to have the work assessed and certified
Thats more like it

this is costly as it ranges from £150 to £200 per visit
Nah, £75 ex the dreaded here, and its even cheaper in some areas...

and if you havnt got it perfect the first time then you need to start paying for return visits.
No, thats not how it works

failing to obtain building regs approval will result in you having extreme difficulty in selling your home in the future
I somehow doubt it will be 'extreme' there is likely to be a bit of an issue if someone picks up on it, but extreme, no

hope this helps
I somehow don't think its particualy likely...

The way around Part P on this one would be to buy an off the shelf kit with a weatherproof socket box cable than connecting to your electrics through a plug in RCD, this way its protected and doesnt need part P as its not hardwired. There are various ones about some Ive seen ones with armoured cable, noticed remote control external sockets at B&Q the other day you can controll a few off one remote, dont know if they were any good tho.

Sponsored Links
Not entirely true, Part P applies to all installed wiring within a the grounds of a domestic dwelling, wether or not it is wired to a plugtop doesn't matter. An outside socket will be part of a special installation hence if you intend to DIY it i.e. buy the parts individually and put it together yourself it is notifiable.
CE marked pre-fabricated equipment sets with integral plug-socket connectors on the other hand are as you say non-notifiable.

are you sure about that? the only exception i've seen for prefabricated kits is for ELV lighting.

I was going by: "Armadillo Double Outdoor Socket Kit" which supposedly "allows you to install 13A weatherproof sockets within the restrictions of the Regulations - since they simply plug into a convenient indoor socket using an RCD plug"

-I cant vauch for how true or not that is.

The armadillo kit does not plug together with integral plug/socket connections and hence it doesn't imho meet the non-notifiable criterion, if in doubt it may be worth phoning your LABC and asking for their opinion.

Sorry Bas, I can't bring myself to read those links :evil: :D

Taken from Part P

Work on prefabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections need not be notified unless carried out in a special location.

That's not what the law says - is that a quote from the Approved Document?

Whatever - it seems a bizarre thing to say, given the restrictions on any form of sockets in special locations....

Bas said:
That's not what the law says - is that a quote from the Approved Document?
As I not a lawyer and as I can't make head nor tail of the SI document on this subject myself I'm going to stick with quoting the approved document on this one.

Whatever - it seems a bizarre thing to say, given the restrictions on any form of sockets in special locations....

As it only applies to fixed wiring I can't really see any issues?

If you follow the link it says The PCU can be mounted on an outside wall

The definition of fixed wiring is bla bla bla fixed to the building structure. So really it's fixed wiring which is being marketed as an extension lead to try and get around the building regs.

I couldn't bring myself to even look for them, something to do with pies wasn't it..
(sends shivers down my spine. :( :( :()

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back