Leaking toilet please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anybody help?

I have had a new toilet fitted and noticed it had not been screwed to the floor.

Now it has started leaking at the pan connection everytime the toilet is flushed.

Would this happen if it is not screwed to the floor?

As i have also had the pipes boxed in can anybody offer me any advice how to fix it without having to get the hole thing taken apart?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
get the installer back, it should be secure. Just aswell these jobs should now be notified so if it's ever policed these type of cowboys won't get away with it.

If I left a toilet not properly fixed my customers would be on the blower before I got in my front door. Can I have you for a customer instead?

whole job needs doing again by sound of it, if it wasn't fixed in first place, it's surely installer's responsibility.

Your right but dont want him to back even if I could get hold of him!

I can apreciate that. Sounds like toilet has to come out, be attended to, and then refixed.

It is of course a necessary evil of boxing in, that maintenance can be made impossible.

We have a redicuous luxury new build case round here. They built luxury flats, bathroom looks great, beautiful great big slate (proper slate not look alikes) tiles on floor and walls and bath panel. Really tasty, but done so that to get bath panel off you have to smash either the slates on the floor and wall proximal to bath panel, or smash bath panel. Then you have another tiling job once you've fixed problem.

The builder obviously had no xeperience of emergency plumbing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks

Once the boxing in is taken apart can you explain what to do?

Do i just line them up push them together then screw the toilet down and then re box it in? Or would that just be too simple?!?

depends what you see when it's exposed. Might be coming from the close coupled joint and running down onto the pan connector, or he might not have used a new pan connector, in which case a new one will sort it.

I like Multiquick, available in all shapes acording to need. If it's to go into a female waste fitting you have to put an insert into the fitting first whioch Multiquick make but merchants don't stock, so we just cut a piece of pipe and insert that. It does seal without the insert, but not worth the risk, it's a loose joint.

If your toilet is slightly eccentric to the joint you can get offset and angled connectors accordingly.

If it's the close coupled joint, use a new donut or close coupled kit, assemble it when toilet is pressed into final relationship of cistern to pan and tighten down. If you tighten down first and then screw cistern back to wall changing the angle you can get leaks.

Only one cistern is made to go with one pan, never mix and match.

regarding securing pan. Some have screw holes that require to go horizontally in from side. These come with a plastic block with holes in that you fix to the premarked floor, then slide pan over the blocks and screw into block with supplied screws from side.

More convensional type screw down large brass screws with plastic countersunk shaped protective layer. Pre drill floor, if tiled drill and plug.

Nice neat bead of white silicone (must be clean and dry first) don't sit on loo 'till next day.

If no screw holes in cistern, nice bead of white silicone as above.

I am going to have a go taking apart the boxing in and have a go re-attaching the soil pipe tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back