Hot radiators but cold water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help.

Ran the tap today but only cold water came out of the hot taps. Flicked on the heating and the radiators instantly went hot (lovely this morning!). I\\\'ve got a non-vented pressure system. Any ideas as to what may be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean a sealed (unvented) heating circuit or unvented hot water?

Are your taps fed by a combi boiler or unvented\vented cylinder.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm going to appear so ignorant here...I'm not sure what the answer is!

I've got a Potterton Myson Apollo boiler which does the heating and hot water. To build the pressure up, I have a tap like device which builds it up on a dial in my airing cupboard.

Apologies for being so dumb but that's why I've come on here for help.

See if there is a brand name\info on the actual cylinder. nad any other boxes\valves etc installed on the pipework.

The more info the better the chance of a remedy.

Sponsored Links
Hey bster,

I've found the problem. I got 2 silver honeywell boxes on the pipes (one switches water to rads the other to taps), the tap one is faulty. I guess if I get that one replaced I'll be sorted.

Thanks for your help.

If the box (2-port valve) is feeding the coil in the cylinder you will be able to manually override the valve (if its not seized) to provide hotwater until it is replaced - look for a little lever on the box.

I got hot water out my tap!!! Thanks for that, bster. You were right..I found the little lever. Great advice.

DickieMint said:
I've found the problem. I got 2 silver honeywell boxes on the pipes (one switches water to rads the other to taps), the tap one is faulty. I guess if I get that one replaced I'll be sorted.
I don't mean this unkindly, but that's most definately a guess, judging by what you've written on this topic.

How have you determined that the motorised valve is faulty?

And BTW - do you know that you can replace the powerhead on the Honeywell valve (if it was made after 1986) without draining down, and it's cheaper too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back